'To raise brave girls, encourage adventure'

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.ted.com/talks/caroline_paul_to_raise_brave_girls_encourage_adventure?utm_campaign=tedspread&utm_content=talk&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=tedcomshare&utm_term=humanities

Graigwen

I agree with almost everything in this talk.

Modern culture does not encourage bravery and independence in young girls. Here is my eight year old grand-daughter failing in our attempt to walk to France from the isle of Sheppey - I was already bogged down in mud a few hundred yards offshore.
album-72157693538982214

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11409438@N06/42374491580/in/album-72157693538982214/

ttxela2

When my daughter was younger I was often criticised for taking her underground and on other adventures, encouraging her to help me work on the car, that sort of thing. Often by other female family members. Apparently the fear was that I might be 'trying to turn her into a boy'  :confused: :mad:

Graigwen

ttxela2 said:
When my daughter was younger I was often criticised for taking her underground and on other adventures, encouraging her to help me work on the car, that sort of thing. Often by other female family members. Apparently the fear was that I might be 'trying to turn her into a boy'  :confused: :mad:

My grand-daughter's treat one day last week was to help with her first wheel change. I would not normally bother with a torque wrench, but used one just so she could see what it did.

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not the bravest person.  Caving and horse riding have helped me be braver, not just in sports/hobbies but in all aspects of life - my comfort zone is bigger than it would have been if I hadn't participated in these sports.  It's why I feel so strongly about supporting younger cavers (whatever their gender) to experience the adventures of caving  :)

not_a_climber

When I joined the scouts when I was 11 I was a right wimp. I couldn't event sit on a rope. They taught me to climb, to tie knots, light a fire and even things like how to cook and look after myself! Now I'm (slightly) more grown up and love caving and having other adventures. I'd never have the job I do without learning to be brave and have adventures, and I wouldn't have a great community of caving friends. Thanks to my scout leaders treating me no different to any of the lads, even though I'm sure they found it a bit odd at the time...

Emsy

Another aspect is having a belief in yourself to be able to aim higher,  so its not just about having an adventurous spirit. I had no problem with the latter as a child, but had a big problem with the personal confidence and belief that I could achieve what I wanted. The two should be taught hand in hand I think.

droid

'You can achieve whatever you want to'

An illusion. Not an excuse for not trying, but an illusion nonetheless.

nearlywhite

droid said:
'You can achieve whatever you want to'

An illusion. Not an excuse for not trying, but an illusion nonetheless.

Illusion (n): a false idea or belief.
Pedant (n): a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

What's the next word of the day droid?

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Emsy said:
Another aspect is having a belief in yourself to be able to aim higher,  so its not just about having an adventurous spirit. I had no problem with the latter as a child, but had a big problem with the personal confidence and belief that I could achieve what I wanted. The two should be taught hand in hand I think.

I agree the two should be taught hand in hand.  My Mum instilled in me as a young child the belief that I could achieve anything and I firmly believed her.  However when I was offered a caving trip in when in sixth form, it was a firm 'no' from my parents.  Ironic that on the one hand I was told I could achieve anything and then on the other hand I wasn't allowed to go off and try and achieve something :) - thought that 'no' was one of the main reasons I said 'yes' at freshers fair the following year - Mum must have taught me rebellion as well along the way  ;)

Laurie

There's an ever growing number of role models, especially in sport.
The incentive is already there.
All the young ladies have to do is reach out...

Tseralo

Really awesome talk and I bet someone here could break that crawling record. I've found it really encouraging as a new caver the amount of really strong women we have in caving. On quite a few recent TSG trips, we have outnumbered the boys.