Iraq....whats the answer?

bubba

Administrator
I don't think there's any nice clean answer - I suppose that it's too late to debate the rights and wrongs of the Coalition's "liberation", so what happens now?

I think this sort of turmoil is inevitable after such a drastic change was inflicted upon the country in a matter of weeks. But I also think that the coalition grossly underestimated the problems. They won the military conflict quickly enough, but I don't think they put nearly enough thought into the handling of the post-war situation.

It seems that the attitude of the "average Iraqi" (if what we are told by our press is in any way true) is that they are pleased that Saddam has gone, but want the coalition out asap. Will much change after the handover of power to local government in a couple of months? I doubt it - I can see a coalition military presence being necessary for a long time, and as long as they are there, then the bombings will continue.

I don't think anyone really knows the solution, and I suppose it's still early days. I'm just glad I'm not out there myself.

bubba

Administrator
Some very good photos from the conflict here :: http://home.wi.rr.com/davef/iraq.htm

Warning: Some of these are grim and disturbing.

T

Titch98

I am ex-forces myself and I do not want to seem to be biased in anyway at all, but I say

NUKE THE PLACE!!!!

:?

Sorry........

Seriously though, as Bubba has rightly said, there isn't a nice, clean solution to the conflict and with the possibility of 1500 more British troops going out there, it looks as though things are going to be going on for a wee while longer yet.

But lets not forget that this conflict (yet again....!) has had more of an impact than just the fighting side of life. You have a small percentage, which is growing, of US civilians dubbing it as another Vietnam - Parliament has lost a lot of trust from the British people after the "Weapons of mass destruction" fuddle duddle etc. etc.

At the end of the day, I am not a political person (jeez........is there any friggin' wonder why???) but unfortunately, it is up to the politicians to get this mess sorted out.

Should we have gone in in the first place? I think we should have. After serving in Bosnia during the conflict and seeing the human suffering first hand, I think the right decision was made. However, the so-called reason for going in was wrong. The public would have supported the government better if they had just gone in to relieve human suffering and remove a dictator from power, without coming out with the "weapons of mass destruction find" story, which incidentally, still have not been found to this date.

But that's just me.............

:)