logging in

ian mckenzie

How come even tho I've got the 'auto log in each visit' box ticked, I'm not automatically logged in with each visit?
And how come, after logging in, I'm prompted to log in a second time if I want to post (e.g. after I hit "reply")?

Is it just me or...?

bubba

Administrator
It'll be something to do with cookies - try deleting any ukcaving.com cookies and trying again, and also checking to see whether your browser settings and firewall are messing with cookie settings....

bubba

Administrator
Which browser do you use?

Also, I know that commonly used firewalls such as Zonealarm will often screw up your cookies - you either have to allow cookies on a site by site basis, or allow them all.

Personally, I think people worry far too much about cookies, they're harmless and it's easier just to allow all cookies, then run something like spybot to remove all the ad-site crap once a week. That's pretty much what I do these days.

bubba

Administrator
Hmmmm.....might be part of your problem - Netscape is a dead browser these days, the development team has even been disbanded so I suspect that the forum software won't get tested against it any more.

It certainly works with Mozilla Firefox though, which is a good, non MS browser and a lot more secure than IE, which also isn't really being developed very much, though a new version is probably coming out when windows longhorn is released.

Anyway, I'm off on a geek's ramble - I'd check your NS help file on cookies for the location, and see what's in there. If there's no ukc cookie then it might be your firewall that's blocking them, if there is, try deleting it and starting again. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas!

paul

bubba said:
HIt certainly works with Mozilla Firefox though, which is a good, non MS browser and a lot more secure than IE, which also isn't really being developed very much, though a new version is probably coming out when windows longhorn is released.

FWIW, I use Opera and it works fine (at least at home), if you want a non-Microsoft browser.

rich

bubba said:
Hmmmm.....might be part of your problem - Netscape is a dead browser these days

This is <a href = "http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4544">not true</a>.

bubba

Administrator
That's just a rebranded version of Mozilla - you might as well use Mozilla Firefox which is great - anyway, I wouldn't touch anything to do with AOL with a long stinky bargepole :)