2019 income and expenditure

CavefestUK have produced a PDF of the accounts for our Cavefest event this year. Please feel free to view the attachment.
We hope to make next another fantastic event and we promise to continue to donate our profits to chrity.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Cavefest-Accounts-2019.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 252
The Clarence hall, charity No. 501687 - recieved ?30
Blaina Scouting group - recieved ?160
South Wales Cave Rescue - will recieve ?250

All of these amounts are esily verified if you wish to follow up. In addition to this, almost a whole barrel of beer was donated to Tim Hargreaves. Tim lives in the Crickhowell area and used the beer at the bar at one of his village events this summer.
Have a cheeky one on us Tim.

We have taken no profit whosoever for ourselves and will continue  to donate to charity in this way.

Thanks again.

Minion

AdrianTurner said:
Do they need to be?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

At the Cambrian AGM, where the organisers came to muster local support for the event, they assured the CCC that all accounts would be transparent and independently verified.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
I was quite interested in how the finances ended up for Eurospeleo, there was much talk of whether it made a loss who under wrote the event, not to mention what we weren't allowed to mention at BCA council meetings, etc, etc.  However, I never saw any public accounts or a demand for them.  Were there any?

I also sometimes wonder just how much all of Hidden Earth costs to put on but I have never come across any accounts.

Therefore, I'm really quite surprised to see Cavefest publish any form accounts on a public forum.  Well done to them.  Why are they being questioned and not others?

NewStuff

Minion said:
AdrianTurner said:
Do they need to be?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

At the Cambrian AGM, where the organisers came to muster local support for the event, they assured the CCC that all accounts would be transparent and independently verified.

Pretty sure they said it would be open and transparent. Not so sure about the verified bit. Yes, I was there.

Ian Adams

Our rights (by ?our?, I mean ?us? the public) with regards to viewing/examining/auditing accounts or books is often mis-understood. In general terms, we can pretty much expect nothing.

Of course, some organisations have statutory obligations that entitle ?us? to see some things (ie. LTD companies, Charities etc.) but, in cases where there are no such obligations we are entitled (generally) to diddly squat.

It appears (please correct me if I am wrong) that ?CavefestUK? is not a registered company and may well be a private enterprise. If that is the case ?we? have no right to demand accounts. It may well be that ?CavefestUK? has offered to produce accounts to various parties and it does appear that the accounts have been volunteered on this forum ?..

I am not clear as to ?why? they have been published here ?. Is some form of approval required (tacit or otherwise) from ?us??  Or, are they just for curious eyes?

:)

Ian

Ian Adams said:
Our rights (by ?our?, I mean ?us? the public) with regards to viewing/examining/auditing accounts or books is often mis-understood. In general terms, we can pretty much expect nothing.

Of course, some organisations have statutory obligations that entitle ?us? to see some things (ie. LTD companies, Charities etc.) but, in cases where there are no such obligations we are entitled (generally) to diddly squat.

It appears (please correct me if I am wrong) that ?CavefestUK? is not a registered company and may well be a private enterprise. If that is the case ?we? have no right to demand accounts. It may well be that ?CavefestUK? has offered to produce accounts to various parties and it does appear that the accounts have been volunteered on this forum ?..

I am not clear as to ?why? they have been published here ?. Is some form of approval required (tacit or otherwise) from ?us??  Or, are they just for curious eyes?

:)

Ian

Thank you Ian for confirming our position regarding our accounts.
To be frank, *someone* has been undertaking a private agenda to soil the name of CavefestUK. Being the only person present at the CCC AGM last year to vote against the idea of CavefestUK being supported in their endeavours, i wonder what his true intentions are.
We published these accounts here upon his repeated request, this time under the guise of Minion. It saddens us that such a persistance isnt put to better use.
I hope this sheds some light on this issue for you Ian.

Stuart France

I enjoyed Cavefest, and it was great to go caving with new people on classic trips at the end of the summer in fantastic weather.  It was a great success from a social and sporting perspective, and that it made a significant profit for good causes is a bonus.  Well done, and thanks to you all.

There?s a ?newish caving club? in the old county of Gwent that has grown quickly to sizeable proportions.  Cavefest is their initiative, with significant help from others.    The club meets regularly, they have lots of events, lots of loan gear for beginners, they support their members at all levels, and are doing a great job.

Then there?s an ?oldish caving club? a few miles up the road which has seen better days.  Some people from this old club have transferred to the new club, and I suppose the pool of potential caving recruits sees a market for their membership.

Competition where one club used to enjoy a local monopoly is inconvenient.  But this has now become very personal and almost an obsession with opportunities being sought out to rake muck and if necessary to make the muck to rake.  Eventually this will end when those who have lost their marbles come to realise that cavers at large know what muck looks and smells like, and are not interested in it.

This latest imbroglio has nothing to do with accountancy or profits.  It actually concerns envy and has gone on a few years.  It runs deep, is deeply troubling, and it needs to stop.

mudman

Hi Stuart,
I was going to keep out of this as I don't really care about Cavefest and their "underground experiences" but as a member of the 'oldish caving club' I can't let what you said lie.
There are a few of your statements that could be questioned, but as there is no direct evidence, I'll refrain.
What I will do though is correct one thing as the members that transferred from the 'oldish caving club' were not established cavers and did so after they were found to be ignoring basic good caving practice by being photographed on and near formations with complete disregard for conservation tapes. There were also instances of dangerous practices  that could have resulted in injuries or worse. We met to discuss these instances and decided to talk to the individual responsible as we felt we had a responsibility to these members but when the 'leader' of this group was refused the club key to OCAF, he threw his toys out and stomped off with his mates to form his new club.
This doesn't run deep as we pretty much ignore them and their self agrandising antics.

NewStuff

mudman said:
being photographed on and near formations... dangerous practices  that could have resulted in injuries or worse.

So AFAICT, some person/people is/are trying to manufacture a problem where one does not actually exist? There is not an issue with accounts? There never has been?

If people have a problem with safety practices and conservation, and it's legitimate and not made up, then address those concerns directly, not make up spurious claims on totally unrelated topics and not attempt to make the caving community think there is an issue with the accounting practices.

The CCC have been notified about this ongoing, and now recent issue. Im sure it will be dealt with in the appropriate manner.

In the meantime. CavefestUK are happy that we have complied with all requests and gone beyond any legal requirements there may be.

2xw

I wish every stupid caving drama resulted in one of the aggrieved parties setting up a cool event and donating money to charities