A Light Box.

The Old Ruminator

I worry about Facebook. It always seems to second guess me. I bought a new drill from Screwfix. Next day I get battery ads on Facebook. It also knows I am interested in photography as this light box add keeps appearing. OK so I took a chance and bought it. It came all of the way from China in ten days. Supposedly half price at ?50. Well I am very pleased with it for bottles and stuff and mineral specimens It has a hole in the top for vertical shots.Came in a nice carry case with an assortment of background colour sheets. My first try with it here.

Fulk

I wouldn?t touch Zuckerberg?s bane with the proverbial barge-pole, but it?s not just ZB that tries to learn about you. I recently bought a new watch from an on-line source, and was subsequently bombarded with ?smart, directed advertising? telling me to . . . errrr . . . yep, you guessed it, ?buy a new watch?.

What?s so smart about an algorithm that tells you to buy a new ?thing? the very day you?ve just bought one?

mrodoc

It is universal but  I do find it helpful occasionally.  Remember it is a service you don't pay for.  When we reach the quantum computing stage we can be as private as we like. Whether that is good or bad is up for debate.

mrodoc

Re Fulk's question, the answer is that our data is used for focussed advertising and that is where the revenue for Facebook comes from.  Our economies were never designed for this variance between cost of end product against profit because nobody foresaw billions of people using the internet. Facebook would  only have to make a penny per person to soon amass a fortune. Until somebody works out how to deal with this issue more and more money is going to flow into less pockets.

pwhole

Just start charging for 'access with guaranteed privacy' so then folks get reassurance they're not getting scammed when they use the service, and also facebook won't need to use such underhand (or quite as many underhand) methods to raise revenue. And 90% of users will leave overnight, freeing up bandwidth. But that won't happen. I'll never join regardless. But can't folks turn off geolocation on their phones? If you're not using it for navigation, surely it doesn't need to be switched on? When I switch on my GPS unit it takes a little while for it to realise I'm not in my house anymore.

ZombieCake

YouTube spy cookie marketing stuff now seems to think I'm a bit German now, which I'm not.  Can't think why.  It told me to click on a link, when I was looking at cameras, eventually ended up getting a Panasonic Lumix S5 after much research, but that's a different story.  Anyway here's the thing: (maybe for the next Warmbac collection??)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OEJ6NZhT8Y