Photo of Colossus pitch - Large Pot

Chris J

Hi all,

I'm looking to locate a photo of Colossus pitch in Large Pot. Does anyone know of the existence of such an image or might point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Chris

AlexR

Hi Chris,

I have some photos from a trip in '14 and a solo one in '18, but they are pretty poor photographically speaking. I'm happy to send them your way (PM me an email address), but expect some blurry shots from a compact camera shot in the moment rather than an actual photo setup.

DaveyDubz

I have found some from an ICCC trip in 2016 within this album:
https://union.ic.ac.uk/rcc/caving/photos/trips/2016-09-23%20-%20yorkshire
There's a few taken from the bottom and a few from the top.
Hope this helps :)

The NPC (northern Pennine Club)Journal 1982  page 58 59 60 +61 has good photos of Colossus Pitch ion Large pot the original photos are probably in the NPC library in there base at Green Close near Clapham (yorkshire)
The photos show it done on Ladders!!(it was a long time ago) which is partly why no scaffold dig etc was done on a possible continuation10 m from the bottom of the pitch or dig in Pumpkin passage thankfully the NW and South East ends were dug with good results by others  :dig: :beer: ;)

Chris J

Thanks to all who have replied.

Andy - getting hold of an image from the NPC 1982 journal would be ideal as it will enable me to combine both a description of the 3 Counties traverse with details of the original exploration. I'll see who I can ask to assist.

Thanks

Katie

Chris,
The British caving library have a copy of the 1982 NPC journal.
Mary, the librarian, is usually in the library on a Wednesday - if you email her (she may well see this as she is on here) I am sure she will be able to have a look for you

Chris J

Thanks Katie, I wasn't sure that the catalogue suggested that when I looked at the BCA library page. If the library does then that would be helpful. I've also emailed JNC as NPC librarian.
Thanks

Pitlamp

Andy Walsh said:
The NPC (northern Pennine Club)Journal 1982  page 58 59 60 +61 has good photos of Colossus Pitch ion Large pot the original photos are probably in the NPC library in there base at Green Close near Clapham (yorkshire)
The photos show it done on Ladders!!(it was a long time ago) which is partly why no scaffold dig etc was done on a possible continuation10 m from the bottom of the pitch or dig in Pumpkin passage thankfully the NW and South East ends were dug with good results by others  :dig: :beer: ;)

Thanks Andy; Chris is liaising with me on this now.

The 1979 Link Pot Journal and the 1982 Large Pot NPC Journals both contain photographs but they're uncredited. If anyone knows who the photographer(s) were I'd be grateful if you could post here. There is the possibility of getting originals for Chris.

speliox

Pretty sure I took those shots of Colossus on a surveying trip with Glyn Edwards - if so it?d be Glyn on the ladder. Might have the original negs but highly unlikely as a lot of water has flowed under the bridge. Probably my last trip on ladders (I loved ?em) and never took to srt cheating so took to proper rock-climbing!

Pitlamp

Thanks speliox - and for the direct email you sent. Have replied to the latter.

Yes, Glyn takes the starring role in various of those NPC Journal images.