Discussion of Daily Mail and other newspapers

Brains

[info]New Topic split from discussion of Media and the recent OFD rescue https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=28807.0[/info]

Just seen it has been reported that Geordie Greg, the editor of the DM has been sacked for being too... Honest.
What is the inside scoop on this David?

Alex

Just seen it has been reported that Geordie Greg, the editor of the DM has been sacked for being too... Honest.
What is the inside scoop on this David?

Yep saw that too, so Mail will be resuming normal service then I take it? As they made the Tory overlords unhappy? It's a pity, I had hoped Dave was right and the paper was turning a corner, seems not, as they are appointing the old editor's deputy (the Brexit one) who from what I heard was just as bad as he was.

Badlad

Administrator
Staff member
Oh dear, poor Dave.  Condolences man.

No doubt that from now on immigrants will be to blame, or Europe, or someone - for everything, but never the government of course - they're really good  ;)

droid

Since I refuse to fund The Mail by paywall or actually buying physical copy all my impressions of Mail 'journalism' is gained through the MS homepage and Facey.

I have yet to notice David's Golden Age of Objective Reporting. Like I alluded in another thread one swallow doesn't make a summer.

The Mail is and for decades has been The S*n for people with a more advanced vocabulary.

RobinGriffiths

mikem said:
Dacre is apparently away to finish off the BBC:

What with the government giving Dacre- Boris' Choice a second go after he kanckered his original interview, and the final decision being with Nadine Dorries, it's only a matter of time. There's a school of thought that Greig's front page attacks on the Tories was to make such a cronyist appointment less likely.

droid

Maybe so Mike. But I find it difficult to believe that team isn't going to follow The Mail's general editorial policy.

mikem

Also related (from BBC) "with CEO of DMG Media Kevin Beatty retiring and being replaced by Richard Caccappolo, who is currently an executive at MailOnline."

pwhole

This from The Telegraph - ironic, given the previous tone of their newspaper:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/11/17/geordie-greig-steps-daily-mail-editor/

A former editor of the high society magazine Tatler, Mr Greig was tasked partly with courting advertisers who had been alienated by the previous tone of the newspaper.

His boasts of success in a Financial Times interview drew a public rebuke from Mr Dacre, who accused Mr Greig of being ?economic with the actualit? and suggested he defer further interviews until the Mail registered more journalistic achievements under his editorship.

It's all very odd, under the current poltical meltdown circumstances - one would have thought them very happy to have him onboard and thus maintain some discreet but clear separation from Johnson's mob. But no - it seems they're preparing to plunge back into the dark side. We shall see.

2xw

You guys might be overthinking the politics. The mail online still has articles attacking Boris at the moment, over corruption and rail plans.

Tbh I see this more as a potential content change - less politics more showbiz is what I presume is going to happen as this is what the readers (who are older women, generally) wants and that is what has made the (American style) mail online so successful.

Fjell

There is plenty of media to choose from and newspapers tend to reflect their readership. All of them (including Guardian) pander to their readers prejudices. It has always been a nonsense that they decide politics, that?s just paranoia. Overwhelmingly the most influential media outlet is the BBC, and then to a much lesser extent other broadcasters. Newspaper readership is a fraction of what it used to be, including online. Few want to pay for it, as no doubt any journalist will tell you. The Guardian survives on it?s trust fund, otherwise it would be bust long ago. the Telegraph has rich nutters for owners, Murdoch is old fashioned and more papers will vanish when he is dead.

The Mail largely caters to women over 25, politics rarely intrudes. Check out the hit rate on Megan articles. The fairly large number of women in our extended family are united like nothing else in their disdain for Megan. I nurture a suspicion she is getting a cut.

tony from suffolk

Fjell said:
There is plenty of media to choose from and newspapers tend to reflect their readership. All of them (including Guardian) pander to their readers prejudices. It has always been a nonsense that they decide politics, that?s just paranoia. Overwhelmingly the most influential media outlet is the BBC, and then to a much lesser extent other broadcasters. Newspaper readership is a fraction of what it used to be, including online. Few want to pay for it, as no doubt any journalist will tell you. The Guardian survives on it?s trust fund, otherwise it would be bust long ago. the Telegraph has rich nutters for owners, Murdoch is old fashioned and more papers will vanish when he is dead.

The Mail largely caters to women over 25, politics rarely intrudes. Check out the hit rate on Megan articles. The fairly large number of women in our extended family are united like nothing else in their disdain for Megan. I nurture a suspicion she is getting a cut.
?and given so much of the UK press isn?t profitable, what makes the millionaire tax exile press barons that own them keep shovelling money in to their failing newspapers I wonder?

Fjell

Why does anyone really need a 600 foot yacht or a football club? They are penis extenders for people with little willies. And willies are overwhelmingly the common factor here.

mrodoc

Interesting piece in the Guardian today on the internal goings on at the Mail in general.  Seems as if the Mail on Sunday and the Daily Mail were running on different agendas. 

wellyjen

tony from suffolk said:
?and given so much of the UK press isn?t profitable, what makes the millionaire tax exile press barons that own them keep shovelling money in to their failing newspapers I wonder?
The same reason they always have owned newspapers and other media outlets. To make sure the public discourse remains favorable enough to millionaire tax exiles and rubbish any politician who isn't in favour of millionaire tax exiles. Jeff Bezos (Amazon) purchased the Washington Post, as a more recent example.

royfellows

Fjell said:
Why does anyone really need a 600 foot yacht or a football club? They are penis extenders for people with little willies. And willies are overwhelmingly the common factor here.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Love it