Caving in Ireland (29th - 31st March)

Daz_of_caving

Ok this is a long shot...

Thanks to a breakup with the missues I now have tickets to fly into Dublin Tuesday morning on the 29th March and flying out on Thursday 31st in the evening

Whats it like getting from Dublin to Caving areas? Is anyone heading out that way between them dates?

Thanks loads in advance  :chair:

Daz :)

seddon

*if* the forecast is good (and really, don't get this wrong) you would do worse than to head over to the County Clare for the big river caves. On a very short acquaintance, they're very enjoyable. The caving population is pretty dam' good too; see if you can arrange a meet up which would help you massively.

Notes:

i) unless you're Artur, you'll need a hire car; probably not got time with public transport

ii) The road west starts fast; then half way it runs out of steam very suddenly, and becomes less so (three hours journey?)

iii) there are no petrol stations on the motorways. Knowing this, and allowing for journeys into local towns for fuel, will make your journey much less stressful!

If you manage it, enjoy. The west is an excellent place, even when it rains (which it does, quite a bit)

Les W

O'Connors is crap nowadays, full of tourists.
You're better in Mc Ganns or go into Lisdonvarna for the Roadside Tavern, it would be rude not to.  :beer: (y)

Like Seddon says though, Clare is where it's at.
Poulnagollum is a fine trip or three. If you can find your way across from the entrance to Branch Passage then there is a fine round trip (includes a 8m pull through abseil. Or you can ab into Poulelva (30m) and then exit through Poulnagollum and retrieve the rope after (or rig Poulelva then enter through Poulnagollum (or do an exchange))

If you have no vertical kit then it is still an excellent trip downstream and back out the same way. (y)

Doolin River Cavve is very good as well. Enter via St Catherines or Aran View but you will need to rig a ladder (or rope) at Fisher Street, for a classic through trip. There are route finding issues and it's no place to be on a rainy day.

Coolagh River Cave is another fine multi entrance cave but is definitely a place to stay away from in the rain. If in doubt, go to the pub.  :beer: :beer: (y)

Brains

oh dear - been a while (decades) since I was last in Doolin.... really must get back there again...

Pat Cronin

Daz

This may be of some use...........

There is a bus that goes from Dublin aerphort to the Bus station in the city (30-45 minutes).

From bus station, two options,
1) Train from Heuston railway station to Ennis (Train & Bus station) via Limerick (5 hours). Booked online the ticket can be as little as 10 euro each way.

2) Bus from bus station via Ennis direct into Doolin (can be 6 hours). However be sure to check for the actual times of this bus service and when it actually commences.

3) Worth checking car hire; very cheap via plane companies.

Accomodation I suggest the Rainbow Hostel he is very obliging to cavers.

In the event you visit here and arrive via the train, I could possibly pick you up from Ennis.

Pat

Pat Cronin

Daz

Further to previous message; my pal rang me to tell you that there is a bus which runs from the aerphort to Galway, from where Terry could pick you up.

Regards

Pat

Daz_of_caving

:D :beer:

Awesome! Thanks Pat...

Am going to look at car hire tonight and will PM you tomorrow with my plan, Whats the drive across Ireland like?

Daz o_O

Daz_of_caving

Car is now hired  :clap:

Should be in the West country about mid-day on Tuesday 29th March, anyone fancy meeting for a midday caving trip!

Equally will be staying in the area for a full day Wednesday so REALLY hope I can get some caving done, if someone can show me round some bits. (Hopfully followed by a midweek piss up)

Thursday will be possibly caving in the morning followed by the long drive back to Dublin for a late flight home...

If anyone else can help me furfill these exciting plans please PM me

Pat Cronin

Daz

There is now a motorway from the aerphort south to where another heads west to Galway.It takes some 2 hours from Dublin to Galway. As you approach Galway look for signs to Limerick. This junction is just outside Galway City. From Galway to Doolin is another 75 minutes. You pass through Kilcolgan (cafe here), Kinvara, Ballyvaughan and Lisdoonvarna.

My number is 086 3502389 or 065 7075883 (answerphone).
I should be available to assist you Wednesday daytime.
I will be in McGanns on the Tuesday night from around 21:30

Safe journey

Pat

ianball11

Hi Darren, With a hire car you could do a tour up to the usual Huddersfield grounds of Belcoo and Blacklion and Cuilcagh mountain area.  Prods Pot is my favourite all time trip, Cascades is fun, Marble Arch is awe inspiring, Pollnatagha is like a mini Alum, White Fathers is an experience, (best not done at night  :read: ) and Polltullyard to Shannon was a big deal about 5 years ago the last time I went there.

And if you head that way, on the scenic loop there is a huddersfield ladder traped beneath a huge boulder which if you can retrieve it, that would be nice, take it steady though, it looks fine but its proper tight.

Will the Uni club be going over for the Students' symposium at Easter?

Subpopulus Hibernia

ianball11 said:

And if you head that way, on the scenic loop there is a huddersfield ladder traped beneath a huge boulder which if you can retrieve it, that would be nice, take it steady though, it looks fine but its proper tight.

Found that this winter! Not really in the best condition though, the carabiner attached to it was as crumbly as a chocolate chip cookie. There was also some other assorted corrosion on the wires, would use it if I was stuck. How long has that been there?

And I'm also interested that you say it was trapped under a boulder. When we found it I could drag it to the surface without a bother and free climb to the bottom. No huge boulder in sight.