County Clare

dunc

Thinking about checking out the caves of County Clare this year (nothing definite as yet) and was just wondering if anyone has been before and knows of somewhere suitable (preferably cheap) to stay in that aea??

Cheers,
Dunc
:)

dunc

No, still in the idea stage, hence why nothing is definte yet, a few people are interested (some haven't decided with it being a fair way off and no firm date) and cost could be a potential swaying factor..

mudmonkey

When we went over a few years ago we camped in Doolin. Two sites there and several pubs within staggering range. Also some bunkhouses. AFAIK there are no caving huts in the area.

Doolin River cave goes pretty much under the place so it's handy for at least one of the big through trips. Great caving - only trouble is there's almost no weatherproof trips - but we had a great week out there in September a few years ago....

dunc

I'm happy with camping, not sure about others though! might have to investigate them bunkhouses..

I had heard it was somewhat weather dependant, hopefully if we go then it will be a nice month (watch it pour down all month now! :wink: ) but if all else fails then a bit of walking is fine and maybe a quick(ahem) visit to Pub Pot!

paul

My club spent a week in Clare last May.

As the club newsletter said "Total cost per person, including all charges for electricity, etc. was £30.00... We were 50 yards from McGann's Bar, less than 100 yards from McDermott's and a stroll from O'Connor's - could cavers ask for more?"

See: http://www.orpheuscavingclub.co.uk/newsletters/vol39_num1_6.html

ian mckenzie

Visited Clare a couple of times years ago. Once stayed at the hostel in Doolin by the bridge, and once we rented a cottage, not too expensive if you have enough people. 1990 was ok, but if it rains as much as it did in 1994 I would give tenting a miss; the campground's near the ocean with not a stick of shelter.

E

eddiej

Probably the best cottages to stay are Anne Frawleys, there are some just up from McGanns and more about a mile outside the village

dunc

Ah yes, we acquired that book before we went over there, proved to be useful and informative, just a shame everything we picked to do the weather had other plans for us! :LOL:

paul

Just got back after another week in Doolin staying at Anne Frawleys again.

This is the 4th or 5th time I've been there in the past 15 years or so at this time of year and we've only ever had one or at most 2 bad weather days in the week. The UBSS seem to always be there at the same time so there must be a link with good weather!

Managed to get down Pollnagollum, Polldubh, Faunarooska, Gragan West, Poulnagree and Cullaun 1 all on separate days.

Finding some if the entrances is "interesting" such as Polldubh, the Cullauns and Gragan West which are in forested (or recently cleared forestry) areas.

The other "interesting" part of the trip was driving the last 40 miles at night with no lights after the drive belt for the alternator slackened off when the power steering pump self-destructed... still made it to McDermott's in time for the first Guinnesses of the week!

T

tubby two

Went about 2 years ago and had a lucky week with no rain at all, blazing sunshine (that would dry your undersuit in a couple of hours outside) and a bit too much murphys at times- brilliant.
We stayed in paddys doolin hostel (i think) which was fine and i dont remember it being too pricey- camping would have been cheaper but really cant complain- as i would do had we camped and it rained all week!!!!

tt.

dunc

I'd recommend the Doolin Cottages, very nice place to stay, we went at the start of October and it was cheap too, although the weather wasn't too great though which was the downside, although we did manage to do Cullaun2 (finding the entrance to that was quite easy)

T

tubby two

Dunc- didn't you start this thread by asking where to stay? am i just confused or being daft as usual?

tt.

dunc

Dunc- didn't you start this thread by asking where to stay? am i just confused or being daft as usual?
I did last year yes and someone recommended the Doolin Cottages, and as the topic was recently picked up again I just thought I would put my recommendation of the place on here!

T

tubby two

Oh dear- i see what i've done, and yes, i am being daft as usual- hadn't realised this post started back in janruary last year, it just came up as new!

Doh!

tt.