Classic, accessible Irish caves.

So I've never been to Ireland and I figure now it is being pushed as a tourist resort I should really take a look.  What are the classic caves, regardless of region, which are easily accessible without too much beaurocracy?  I have looked at all the other threads in regard to this question.

CN.

caving_fox

I believe there are currently access restrictions on Pol Elva, though the Polnagollum? systems is still accessible.

Pol an Ionenen is now a showcave. They've made a massive staircase/walkway through what used to be the cavers enterance.

St. Catherine's is check at the farm enterance for politeness.

All the other major Claire systems were just turn up and cave as of my last visit there, 2 years ago.

Depending on how long you are in Clare - try and get to:

Doolin river cave - Catherine's to Arran View is a lovely through trip
Polnagolum - shame about PolElva, because this was another ace through trip, now you can only explore form one end.
Cullum 2 and 5
Pol Dubh? / Coolaugh River cave - can be a through trip - long and route finding is tricky. VERY weather dependant!

Then there is various shorter stuff that is also enjoyable
Poulnagree being a personal choice.

I've no idea what the rest of the Irish caving scene is like?

paul

I'll definitely second the above. Doolin is a good place to stay if visiting County Clare.

What are the problems at Pulelva? There's no mention of any on the SUI website.

graham

Was last down Poulelva (note the spelling) in June 2006, am not aware of any specific problems since then, though there are issues at Poulnagree and Poll na gCeim, both caused by thoughtless cavers.

Pol an Ionain recently applied for variations in their planning permission, which have been turned down.

caving_fox

There were concerns from the farmer:

But maybe this is now all resolved, hope so because PoulElva to PoulNaGollum is a great trip, and PoulElva Pot is super in its own right.

Shame about PoulnaGree I enjoy that one - doe sthis effect the other caves accessed from that green lane?

mrodoc

Faunarooska is an enjoyable short trip with some excellent formations. It is a classic Clare cave.
For an epic long trip with a spectacular finale Pollballiny is worth doing.

paulf

Northern Ireland is Cool as well  8)
If you e-mail the Marble Arch Tourist Cave in advance they let you go beyond the Tourist Area - Excellent Trip  (y)
Prod's Pot is a good SRT into a Great Cave  (y)
Noon's Hole another  (y)
Cheap Flights before & after the School Holidays  (y)

SamT

eee  - fancy that.

Just last night I looked at Cumbrian Neils profile cause I thought "eyup, I haven't seen neil posting for while" and indeed - it had been quite some time (months) since a post. Then low and behold.

soz - off topic - and I dont know anything about Irish Caves - other than they sound great.

Hi neil by the way. Family look to be doing well!

C

chacharlee

paulf said:
If you e-mail the Marble Arch Tourist Cave in advance they let you go beyond the Tourist Area - Excellent Trip  (y)
Showing up at reception a day or so before should also be fine. They were a little wary of letting us down, as we didn't have anyone with caving qualifications, but they were fine with it once we told them we had been in the sytem before, and we had been caving for over 3 years...
If you want to get into Skreen Hill area (see guidebook), then the best key to ask for is Pool Chamber I reckon, though the boulder choke may be a little confusing to navigate!

paulf

We arrive at Reception in our Wetsuits after a forgotten Stop caused a change of Plan  :cautious: The manager even offered to lend me his as he took us to the end of the Show Cave & left us to it :bow:

SamT said:
eee  - fancy that.

Just last night I looked at Cumbrian Neils profile cause I thought "eyup, I haven't seen neil posting for while" and indeed - it had been quite some time (months) since a post. Then low and behold.

soz - off topic - and I dont know anything about Irish Caves - other than they sound great.

Hi neil by the way. Family look to be doing well!

You have to be REALLY careful letting time lapse between visits to the forum... there were 13 pages of new posts since I was last on : ).  V. busy with a one year old and 4 year old... but you will becoming all too familiar with that aspect!

I'm tired of winter and ready for some summer weather... way too much cold and snow this past season.

CN.

Thanks for all the replys so far... keep them coming.  Are most Irish caves wetsuit jobs... most of them sound wet... moreso than Yorkshire where things are mostly dry!

CN.

graham

Cumbrian Neil said:
Thanks for all the replys so far... keep them coming.  Are most Irish caves wetsuit jobs... most of them sound wet... moreso than Yorkshire where things are mostly dry!

CN.

As far as Clare is concerned, no not really. There are a lot of caves where years back I would have always presumed a wetsuit to be necessary, but there is now little that really needs one.

<Disclaimer, If you die of hypothermia, that'll be one of the few caves that actually I thought did need one.>

Les W

Although I clearly didn't need a wetsuit, there were one or two trips I was on in Co. Clare where a wetsuit would have been a distinct advantage.  :eek:

A neoflece is a good compromise for most of the stream trips in Clare.  (y)

SimonC

Shannon (via the Polltullyard entrance) in Fermanagh is an awesome trip - especially with the recent addition  8)

I'm guessing that there will be a fair amount of activity going in this system over the coming months, so due to the very limited parking in the farmers yard I would strongly recommend contacting the 'Shannon Group' before planning a visit (I'm sure no one wants to inadvertently upset the farmer :spank: ).  Also it's a good idea to get a current update on the stability of the cave, as there are a couple of naughty loose chokes on the way.  :blink:

I suppose contacting the Shannon Group via this forum is as good a way as any?

Thanks once again to everyone and especially the Irish cavers I met for making it such a memorable trip, I feel truly honoured.  :bow:

Simon.

Simon said:
I suppose contacting the Shannon Group via this forum is as good a way as any?

As per my reply to your e-mail earlier... this is what we may be looking at for 2010 when I get my next "pass" from the wife.  Did you make some pretty good contacts over there?

Andorra, Matienzo, and some canyoning in southern France/Spain are other options for 2010... Kilimanjaro has also been mentioned by AV... but it sounds like a lot of bureaucracy.

Congrats on the 1.2km of passage by the way : ).

CN.