Wet weather caves - Burren

A

Ali

Off to Doolin for the weekend. By all accounts it's been a bit wet!

It's a good while since I've been caving there, has anybody got good suggestions for trips that are possible in wet conditions?

Cheers, Ali  :beer:

graham

It really depends how wet.

Buy one of these.

cocc_cover.php

A

Ali

graham said:
It really depends how wet.

Buy one of these.

cocc_cover.php

Cheers Graham. I've got the old edition, is it worth shelling out for the new one?

Guess I'll just have to stop being lazy and peruse that if no-one has any suggestions  :)

Cheers, Ali

caving_fox

Doolin river cave in athe article is actually passable in really quite high water levels, though you're best advised to exit through ArranView.

Most of the caves are doable at least for some of their length in wet conditions. I wouldn't advise it in rising water levels, but if you are confident that it isn't getter worse, just try and see. Exception beinging Poulnagollum-Poulevla. It's a great trip but the connection is soggy in dry weather and won't be passble when it's wet. There are wet trips available from either end though - just not as long. Don't try coolough river cave in wet conditions either. Baring that it should all mostly be passable.

I was there in september and despite the rubbish summer it was all very very dry.

The old edition guide book is sufficient. If you know the caves well than the new one adds a few bits of interest, but a lot are dived extenstions, not accessible to the passing caver.

graham

caving_fox said:
The old edition guide book is sufficient. If you know the caves well than the new one adds a few bits of interest, but a lot are dived extenstions, not accessible to the passing caver.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

There is so much more in the new one. Pol na gCeim, Poultalloon, several km of extensions to Poulnagollum, Extensions to C5, several completely new caves on East Poulacapple, and lots lots more without mentioning any dives at all.

caving_fox

Pol na gCeim - granted.
But of the rest, the increased details of small holes, while valuable to the digging teams ( :clap:), locals and dedicated geologists of the area, are not particularly interesting to this visiting sport caver who wants to get a few good trips into a short window of opportunity. And the downside is that some of the surveys become much less clear for those who aren't already familiar with the caves. Just my opinion after having had the occasion to compare both old and new versions. The new is better and more complete, no doubt about it, and many thanks to everyone involved in the efforts of compiling it, but if one has the old, then IMHO you won't gain much for the outlay of the new. If you don't have either than buy the new.

A

Ali

caving_fox said:
Doolin river cave in athe article is actually passable in really quite high water levels, though you're best advised to exit through ArranView.

Most of the caves are doable at least for some of their length in wet conditions. I wouldn't advise it in rising water levels, but if you are confident that it isn't getter worse, just try and see. Exception beinging Poulnagollum-Poulevla. It's a great trip but the connection is soggy in dry weather and won't be passble when it's wet. There are wet trips available from either end though - just not as long. Don't try coolough river cave in wet conditions either. Baring that it should all mostly be passable.

I was there in september and despite the rubbish summer it was all very very dry.

Thanks Caving_Fox, exactly what I was after!

Cheers, Ali  :)

Ship-badger

Do not make the mistake that we once made, in thinking that if the "Caves of County Clare" guidebook didn't specifically mention a flooding hazard that it would be ok in wet weather. We went to Upper Polnagollum on a very wet day. We endured 800m of miserable crawling and thrutching only to find the exit to Polnagollum sumped, and so be rewarded with a further 800m of misery. It is, of course, one of the best trips we ever had!

Les W

I'm sure Graham won't argue (much) that it is well known that most Burren Caves Flood. If there is high rainfall then go to the pub (McGanns, Roadside Tavern, etc.) This is a worthwhile substitute for caving.  :beer:

I have been in both Doolin River Cave and Pollnagollum in high water and they are both sporting trips, abseiling out of Branch Gallery in Polnagollum through a waterfall was quite exhilarating, but I don't believe the water was as high as the above adventurers must have experienced as we got out without incident.

paul

graham said:
caving_fox said:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

There is so much more in the new one. Pol na gCeim, Poultalloon, several km of extensions to Poulnagollum, Extensions to C5, several completely new caves on East Poulacapple, and lots lots more without mentioning any dives at all.

I thought there were access problems with Pol na gCeim?

graham

I believe that the relevant people are working on it.

I hope that when access is restored that cavers then respect the guy's property.