Have you read the BCA Newsletter February 2020 Edition???

Have you read it?

• Yes - online version

Votes: 29 74.4%
  • Yes - hardcopy version

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No - wasn't aware of it

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • No - aware but not interested

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • No - but I intend to now having seen this poll

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pegasus

Administrator
Staff member
Hello All,

Sat here writing my BCA report to Council.

I could really (please help) do with some feedback on the latest BCA newsletter:

Other than discussing why we can't e-mail it to BCA members currently (an issue being sorted I understand, bear with us) would you please let me know your thoughts on the newsletter, thank you.

wl

https://british-caving.org.uk/wiki3/doku.php?id=publications_information:newsletter

Thank you  (y) :)

Jane Allen
P&I Officer

mikem

Is it worth adding - where did you read it? (phone /  ipad / laptop / computer // club hut / shop / own copy / etc)

nearlywhite

mikem said:
Is it worth adding - where did you read it? (phone /  ipad / laptop / computer // club hut / shop / own copy / etc)

It probably is! Unfortunately it's a little hard to then work out which avenues you then need to focus on in order to distribute it wider, especially in the age of social distancing etc. Talk about selection bias.

mikem

The title of the thread will bias towards those who are interested - change that to "Have you read..."?

David Rose

As the newsletter editor, I would be interested in seeing some feedback, too. This issue is the second one with the professional-looking layout provided by Gary and Matt, and the second available on paper. It also contains some editorial innovations - such as the article by Andrew Sparrow on the Dent de Crolles system. Unfortunately, the BCA email problems mean very few people have indicated what they think of it.

PeteHall

To my shame, I hadn't actually read it until this morning. I was in the middle of a busy period at work when it was published, and didn't get around to reading it at the time.

I've just read it now (on my phone) and was very impressed by the look, feel and content. A mixture of interesting and informative articles that kept interest from page to page.

One point to note, the hyperlinks do not work from my android phone. I've checked on the computer and they work fine from there, so not sure what the problem is, maybe I should ask a 10 year old...

One of the links was to a survey to help choose a BCA mission statement. I've not seen this promoted elsewhere, but given that the BCA is trying to improve engagement, it would seem sensible to get as much input from cavers as possible when defining something as fundamental as a mission statement. I've copied the link below, but would suggest that the BCA make some effort to promote the survey a bit more widely. www.surveymonkey.com/r/D2QN287

Finally, to anyone who hasn't got around to reading it yet, you're probably stuck at home, so read it now!

Read the newsletter on my PC when it was published and liked the format.  I just re-read it to refresh my thoughts about it. 
What was particularly informative?
? Steps forward for access ? but didn?t delve too deeply into the Glover Report
? Treasurer?s report and future plans
? Ballot results and BCA democracy
? Regional council updates
? Ghar Parau funding summary
? UKCaving ? good background material
The other pieces were of varied interest.

(A point to note for book reviewers: Yorkshire is so vast that we sometimes have to use a place name more once; back in the day, the fish and chip shop at Stump Cross (NGR SE109 262) was excellent.)

Jenny P

I've just fallen foul of the survey because it won't let me tick two boxes. 

I read the Newsletter on my laptop first and then had two Club copies sent to me, which I took out to the Club Cottage for people to read there, so I read one of those on paper as well.  I found I do prefer to read the printed version - it seems to register (if that's the correct word) with me better if I see printing on paper, especially with the smart new layout.  Appreciate it would be too expensive to send out as a printed version and I suppose I could print it out myself - but that seems a waste of paper.

I still think it's good, although I did contribute two items of information for it myself.

Jopo

I read it on my PC and found it very enjoyable and informative. I cannot for the life of me even consider reading it on my phone - it must be a age thing.

Jopo

Read it on my desktop at home.
Would like link emailed.
(no, wouldn't even try reading it on a phone - needs a different format for that).

Library, Child protection, Democracy, Access, Radon, UKC history