What Disto?

mole02

Any ideas please on buying a new Disto?
I know they?ve changed over the years and the info sounds a little bewildering! Lol
I?ll need one for above ground surveying as well as underground.
Many thanks

Rob

If you are wanting a DistoX (i.e. one that can be converted to do compass and clino readings as well) then you need to purchase either a "Disto A2" or a "Disto X310".

You'll then want to speak with someone to get a conversion done for you, unless you are particularity handy with a soldering iron!

Benfool

if you want to convert to a distox, buy an x310 not an a2. The a2s (it was actually the a3s!) were used for the old conversion and the boards haven't been available for years - these days you want a distox2 which uses the x310.

I currently have a stock of the batteries needed to do the conversion and I'm more than happy to do this for you.

B

mole02

Ok guys thanks very much.
I spoke with Leica and the D510 also does inclination, but quite a bit more expensive.
A 310 it is then.
Does changing the battery invalidate the guarantee?

AlexR

The work required to convert the original Leica instrument will invalidate the guarantee, be it board or battery.

Benfool

In order to convert a x310 to a Distox, you'll need to replace the main board and solder in a non-ferrous lithium ion battery .

The replacement distox board adds a compass and clino to the x310, as well as a bluetooth module. Its generally industry standard for cave surveying these days.

The conversion will certainly void the Leica warranty, as you'll need to open it up and replace one of the two boards in there. The process itself isn't too difficult, but does involve some soldering.

As I said in my previous message, I'm more than happy to do the conversion for you (I've probably done over 100 in the last couple of years). If you're interested send me an email on ben.t.wright (at) gmail.com.

B

Pat Cronin

The information you provide has been most welcome, particularly the modern Leica Disto; could you also, possibly suggest an appropriate palm device?

Love, Light and Peace

Pat

alastairgott

The Shannon group are very active surveyors, if you are still based in Ireland that could be a good bet for getting an idea of how everything goes together with disto and PDA/phone.

Might even be able to borrow a data collection device from them while you get to grips with it, before you decide what you want to buy.

Bob Mehew

See https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=26392.msg322240#msg322240 for a possible alternative.  There is now a small group of people building their own.  PM me if you want more info.

He?s called Eric Steinberg and you can find him on Facebook, I bought a board off him earlier this year and last time I spoke to him he had enough boards to make another 30 distoX?s. I did see he?s bought a new x3 this week and thinks it?s a good candidate for conversions.

nearlywhite

Pat Cronin said:
The information you provide has been most welcome, particularly the modern Leica Disto; could you also, possibly suggest an appropriate palm device?

Love, Light and Peace

Pat

I'd recommend trying something with a stylus, old phones with a power bank are pretty hard to beat but as Gott said, it depends on what you draw with