BCA Insurance

Fulk

Hi, could someone tell me if the BCA insurance scheme for 'one-off' trips still operates, and if so how does one go about obtaining it?

SamT

While you're on Nick...

What if a club member states... "I'm a member of the BMC and have my 3rd Party insurance via them".

Would I have to include them on the form to BCA as insured 'other club', or does BMC not count and further more, what it they're just not interested in getting BCA insurance, yet are a member of a club.

Fulk

Thanks Nick; I've e-mailed the address given in the article, but it wouldn't go . . . so I tried changing it from:

insurance@british-caving,org.uk

to:
insurance@british-caving.org.uk

and it seemed to work. I guess it needs changing in the PDF.

Ed

SamT said:
While you're on Nick...

What if a club member states... "I'm a member of the BMC and have my 3rd Party insurance via them".

Would I have to include them on the form to BCA as insured 'other club', or does BMC not count and further more, what it they're just not interested in getting BCA insurance, yet are a member of a club.

from the BMC:

"Additionally activities such as ski mountaineering, occasional mountain biking and caving, are covered provided the activities are non-competitive and are SECONDARY to the activities of the club (i.e. are not the main activity of the club - it would be assumed that a club whose prime activity is caving, for example, would be affiliated to and have insurance through the NCA)."

So a odd caving trip as a member of climbing club giving a try out = yes. As a member of a caving club = no

SamT

OK,

So their BMC insurance covers them 3rd party underground (occasionally).

They don't want to pay ?17 to BCA for what they probably consider as duplicate insurance.

Yet have paid their membership fee to the caving club.

So how does that stand them and the caving club  in the eyes of the BCA (in terms of insurance) given the are affiliated with BCA along with most of its members who are CIM.

What should be stated on the form and proforma to BCA??

andrewmcleod

I could be wrong but I looked this up recently, and this is what I remember:

BMC insurance only covers caving on an organized trip of that club (where the main purpose of that club is not caving). In other words there is no time that BMC insurance can cover a person going caving with a BCA caving club (unless that club is also a BMC club and it is a club trip).

BMC member going caving with a BMC club which has organized a caving trip as a one-off/occasional special trip: covered (for that trip).
BMC member going caving with a non-BMC club: not covered.
BMC member going caving independently: not covered.
BMC member going climbing independently: covered (this is the key difference).

SamT said:

As far as you (as a non-BMC club) are concerned, no it doesn't.

http://www.bmc-insurance-centre.co.uk/

Note that no mention of 'caving' is made for the 'members' insurance (because members are NOT insured for caving), and that (as already stated in this thread) the club insurance covers it only as a secondary activity during a club meet only.

nickwilliams

SamT said:
OK,

They don't want to pay ?17 to BCA for what they probably consider as duplicate insurance.

Yet have paid their membership fee to the caving club.

So how does that stand them and the caving club  in the eyes of the BCA (in terms of insurance) given the are affiliated with BCA along with most of its members who are CIM.

What should be stated on the form and proforma to BCA??

Andrew's reply is almost completely correct. They need to pay for the BCA cover. They don't have insurance for their membership of your club by virtue of their membership of BMC so it's not a 'duplicate' payment.

The only bit of Andrew's post I do not agree with is:

andrewmcleod said:
BMC member going climbing independently: covered (this is the key difference).

If what Andrew meant by this is that an individual member of BCA is not covered for going caving independently, then this is wrong: if you are BCA individual member (CIM or DIM) then you are covered irrespective of whether those you go caving with are BCA members. However, the people who are with you won't be insured if they are not BCA members, and in a club context unless all members are insured, the club itself is not fully insured. The document "Club insurance - why bother' which you can download from the link in my post above explains this.

nickwilliams

Fulk said:
Thanks Nick; I've e-mailed the address given in the article, but it wouldn't go . . . so I tried changing it from:

to:

I've not got an e-mail from you so something is not working there. I don't control the BCA e-mail system so I'll need to get someone else to investigate. I suspect that insurance@... goes to Glenn Jones, not to me. If you want to contact me, best thing would be to use nick dot williams at hucklow dot net.

andrewmcleod

nickwilliams said:
If what Andrew meant by this is that an individual member of BCA is not covered for going caving independently, then this is wrong: if you are BCA individual member (CIM or DIM) then you are covered irrespective of whether those you go caving with are BCA members.

I was just saying that the key difference between climbing and caving with BMC insurance is that you are NOT insured to cave independently with BMC insurance (whereas you are insured to climb independently).
Or possibly I was saying that the key difference between BCA and BMC insurance is that only with BCA insurance are you insured to cave independently; I can't remember now! :)

Les W

nickwilliams said:
Fulk said:

to:

I've not got an e-mail from you so something is not working there. I don't control the BCA e-mail system so I'll need to get someone else to investigate. I suspect that insurance@... goes to Glenn Jones, not to me. If you want to contact me, best thing would be to use nick dot williams at hucklow dot net.

Insurance@... goes to Glenn
insurance.manager@... goes to Nick  (y)

SamT

Cheers for the explanations guys - Top notch  (y)

(and a thread that's not yet been de-railed, Yay. )

SamT

Or Speleo Club Comminges

i.e. whats the situation with (paid) members of our club who now live abroad and are insured with their local associations.