Rescue at Gautries.

AR

I know it's been wet of late  round here but I didn't realise it was that wet!

pwhole

A group of us abandoned a trip into Giants Sat morning - driving around Surprise View from Sheffield in bright sunshine, the entire valley west of about Bamford was engulfed in cloud, with a big rainbow in front of it. It was chucking it down in Castleton, but snowing at the top of Winnats. The weather forecast sounded warmer, apart from this squall, so it looked quite likely it would all go down Giants an hour or two later - and we'd heard about this one earlier, which convinced us not to risk it. Didn't think they'd appreciate two in one week, especially from the bottom.

hrock

yes well said mark shall we start a hate campaign against them. really i think there club should kick them out (but then i guess its hard to bring the Eldon into disrepute)

Rob

r_walklate said:
It's easy to criticise in these situations, perhaps it's better to comment on what can be learnt rather than using it as a tool to bad name others?
Easy leason to be learnt = don't go down a flood liable cave just before 12mm of rain.
Difficult leason to be learnt = knowing when 12mm of rain is about to fall when the forecast says 3mm.

People really should err on the side of caution more often. If they don't then they open themselves to "bad naming". I'm sure these idiots won't get caught out again...  :chair:

chrisporcheret

It is bad what happened but can we as a caving community just be THANKFULL that everyone was ok and we were not dealing with the loss of a fellow caver.

In there defence if they were going off caves of the peak district it says NOTHING about wet weather reaction nor any warning about it going underwater.

If in doubt stay out as they say

Feel free to disagree with my view over this incident but considering the circumstances in my eyes it couldn't have gone any better.

People got to go home to there familys thanks to DCRO and the cavers finding high ground and been sensible about it.

Chris

Katie

This thread is a bit of an in joke I'm afraid - the cavers involved knew the cave very well and are very close friends with all the people who have posted negative comments! I think if you get sumped into a cave you kinda of expect your mates to take the piss as publicly as they can......

nickwilliams

Rob said:
Easy leason to be learnt = don't go down a flood liable cave just before 12mm of rain.

I think the lesson that it's a good idea to ensure that the team digging next door includes a diver is the most important one, myself.

Pitlamp

Katie said:
This thread is a bit of an in joke I'm afraid - the cavers involved knew the cave very well and are very close friends with all the people who have posted negative comments! I think if you get sumped into a cave you kinda of expect your mates to take the piss as publicly as they can......

Not to mention that those who benefitted from this rescue might have contributed to rescue efforts themselves a time or two in the past?

AR

hrock said:
..but then i guess its hard to bring the Eldon into disrepute

I always thought the Eldon was the sort of club that would kick you out for bringing it into repute?

Rob

AR said:
I always thought the Eldon was the sort of club that would kick you out for bringing it into repute?
Na, that's more likely about a club that cares what other people think...