Northern Caves Conservation Project

ahinde

The Northern Caves Conservation Monitoring Project is a joint project between CNCC and Natural England ( formerly English Nature ).
It's mission is to help conserve our caves by undertaking voluntary monitoring of the condition of Dales Caves by ordinary cavers who are active in the northern region.
There is also Grant money from NE for surface conservation work eg. entrance stabilisation.
The project has established a website at
www.northerncavemonitoring.org.uk
I would be interested to hear what fellow cavers think of the site and in what areas it could improve or develop.
Cavers are not generally enamoured of bureaucracy - but a little effort from the acknowledged experts in the field ( yes -that's you! ) could go a long way to secure our underground heritage for future generations.
The only effect this work could have on access to caves would be to help secure and improve it.
It has been said that Yorkshire Caves and cavers are way behind in their enlightenment when it comes to Cave Conservation. I hope that the current interest in this project will dispel this image. Though god forbid that Northern cavers should lose that belligerent attitude that has served them well in protecting their sport from a risk averse nanny outside world.

footleg

Found the website well laid out and easy to follow. Some feedback:

The Googlemap does not appear to load in Firefox3 web browser. You web design company if they are worth any business should be testing compatibility with common browsers. It did load in IE7, so I know it is not completely broken.

The cave reporting forms contain much useful background information. It would be much better if this could be browsed directly online, rather than having to download it all in Word documents first. Perhaps if you want to keep just one format of the data suitable for printing out as a form then you could provide them as PDF documents? Then as least most computers will be able to read them directly online.

The Bull Pot West Kingsdale reporting form contains the wrong survey (East Kingsdale area), so the cave is not featured on the survey in the form. There also appear to be no listed features to monitor in this cave!

I am working on a complete resurvey of the West Kingsdale System so will be regularly visiting it over the coming years for that project. So if there is anything specific I can help with in there please get in touch with me (PM me via this forum).

A

andymorgan

Actually it is a bit temperamental in Firefox.
This is proving it actually works sometimes:

3046229788_09b186427e.jpg

and this is what happens when it doesn't:

3046229854_d6d6c64353.jpg

martinm

footleg said:
The Googlemap does not appear to load in Firefox3 web browser. You web design company if they are worth any business should be testing compatibility with common browsers. It did load in IE7, so I know it is not completely broken.

The 'web design company', ie:- me, has tested the site in IE6 (on Win XP) and 7 (on Vista) and Firefox 2 (on Linux) and 3  (on Vista) and it works fine. That includes the google map. If it doesn't load sometimes, then that is a problem with your system, internet connection, security settings, google server load, something else, etc. I have no problems at all with it.  :)

Oh. and I haven't got a Mac to test it on... (Can't afford one.  :-\ )

martinm

footleg said:
Found the website well laid out and easy to follow. Some feedback:

Thanx.  :)

footleg said:
The cave reporting forms contain much useful background information. It would be much better if this could be browsed directly online, rather than having to download it all in Word documents first. Perhaps if you want to keep just one format of the data suitable for printing out as a form then you could provide them as PDF documents? Then as least most computers will be able to read them directly online.

Understood, but the forms are meant to be downloaded and completed. Preferably filled in on a computer and emailed to the appropriate person(s) for efficiency. (Either someone at CNCC or NE. Can you clarify which Andrew?) It is difficult for most people to do that with PDF files...

martinm

andymorgan said:
Actually it is a bit temperamental in Firefox. This is proving it actually works sometimes:

I use Firefox (2 and 3) all the time and it works fine for me all the time. So...

What OS (type/version) are you using and what browser version?

(And bear in mind my comment above about "your system, internet connection, security settings, google server load, something else, etc.")

footleg

martinm said:
The 'web design company', ie:- me, has tested the site in IE6 (on Win XP) and 7 (on Vista) and Firefox 2 (on Linux) and 3  (on Vista) and it works fine. That includes the google map. If it doesn't load sometimes, then that is a problem with your system, internet connection, security settings, google server load, something else, etc. I have no problems at all with it.  :)

Oh. and I haven't got a Mac to test it on... (Can't afford one.   :-\ )

:-[ Apologies for dissing your good work on a public forum. I saw the company logo at the bottom of the site pages and assumed that some large commercial company had put together the site for Natural England at great expense.

Most strange this. It does not work on my Vista laptop with Firefox 3.0.4, but if I run Windows 2000 on a virtual machine from the same laptop then it works fine in Firefox 3.0.4. So that rules out network settings and the like. Hopefully this is an unusual problem and most users will not experience it.

martinm

footleg said:
:-[ Apologies for dissing your good work on a public forum. I saw the company logo at the bottom of the site pages and assumed that some large commercial company had put together the site for Natural England at great expense.

Most strange this. It does not work on my Vista laptop with Firefox 3.0.4, but if I run Windows 2000 on a virtual machine from the same laptop then it works fine in Firefox 3.0.4. So that rules out network settings and the like. Hopefully this is an unusual problem and most users will not experience it.

That's no problem.  :) But it works fine on my Vista laptop with Firefox 3.0.4, that is why I said it wasn't a problem with the web site, no matter how much was spent on it and by whom. Have you looked in your error console for javascript errors? (Under the Tools menu.) It is more likely to be a local config problem, conflict with an installed add-on or something similar. (My Firefox on Vista just has the Web Developer and Firebug add-ons installed.)