Ghyll House Farm Near Grassington/Mossdale Info Please

Flotsam

I spent some time years ago digging on the moors between Langcliffe and Mossdale. We used to pass by Ghyll House Farm which is now demolished but was still standing in the 1980's. It had a pub sign on it and some artifacts inside from it being used as a film set. Anyone know what the film was? and why it was demolished? It was a beautiful place and shouldn't have been knocked down.

langcliffe

It was demolished in order to recycle the stone for building new houses in the centre of Grassington.

langcliffe

Simon Wilson said:
It was demolished in order to prevent people using it as a shelter.

I stand corrected - I do know that John Ely used the stone for developing the houses in his little corner of Grassington.

Simon Beck

Didn't you say the same thing happened to the hut at Howgill Nick Simon?
Spent a lot of time up there this past half decade pondering that building, and long commented to Richard how nice a base of operation it would make, if only we could get permission to repair it. Never have seen a picture of it in it's glory days...?

Not sure about the film you speak of Flotsam but haven't forgotten them filming Wuthering Heights up there on the fells 90/91. Had just started Wharfedale School and remember us visiting one of the sets. 

Flotsam

Definitely earlier than the 90's. I would say from the condition of the sign and the stuff in the house 1960-70. I remember something a bit like a small waterwheel in the house. In windy weather the sign used to swing and creak just like you see in the films.

Simon Wilson

I can remember Gill House being in good condition with glass in all the windows. It had a somewhat Dickensian feel to it with particularly high class joinery, wide, ornately moulded architraves and skirtings and a large fire place.

A group of lads started staying there at weekends and leaving litter in it. I was disappointed to find that they broke up the joinery to use as firewood. That wasn't long before it was demolished.

My memory is not good on the hut at How Gill Nick. In the 1970s it had a good roof and door and had bunks and sleeping bags in it. I was told that it had been used by people digging there but I can't remember the name of the club. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who know more about it if you ask around.