Yet more stal for sale.

E

emgee

Described as Chinese Stalactite and on sale in the gift shop in the showcave at Treak. What do people think of this? Any idea how to stop it? I know China exports stal in large quantities but I was surprised to find it turning up in Castleton.

cap n chris

D'shire C&A should/could get on to this and express balanced cogent reasons for removing the items from sale, perhaps?  :confused:

E

emgee

cap 'n chris said:
D'shire C&A should/could get on to this and express balanced cogent reasons for removing the items from sale, perhaps?  :confused:

Emailled a few days ago. No response yet but I expect he's got better things to do like going caving at the weekend. Certainly wish that's what I'd been doing this weekend.

E

emgee

emgee said:
cap 'n chris said:

Emailled a few days ago. No response yet but I expect he's got better things to do like going caving at the weekend. Certainly wish that's what I'd been doing this weekend.

Well it's been a few weeks so I'll just guess that no one's that bothered about chinese stal for sale in Castleton. No idea why they seem to attract attention on ebay but not in a caving area.

emgee said:
emgee said:
cap 'n chris said:

Well it's been a few weeks so I'll just guess that no one's that bothered about chinese stal for sale in Castleton. No idea why they seem to attract attention on ebay but not in a caving area.
I guess that the "audience" on e-bay is massive compared with the tourists that visit the shop at the showcaves at Treak. I am in complete agreement with you that formations where ever they come from irrespective of when they were collected (or stolen) should not be on sale from any outlet. The last formation that I flagged up that was for sale on e-bay sold for a large sum and this will only encourage the destruction of caves to continue.

SamT

seen a few headline recently about Ebay cracking down on the sale of illegal 'treasures' and antiquities..

Can only really find this on the web .

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/5017/6041/ebay-museum-antiquities-selling.phtml

prehaps we can jump on the back of such schemes

cap n chris

I think the media were contacted by an exasperated British Museum after their attempts to get Ebay to clamp down came to little (with regards to sales of antiquities); perhaps BCA could do something similar - regional councils would no doubt lend their support with examples of (recent) damage to stal in caves such as LL in South Wales and Swildon's on Mendip and there are some suitable online examples of how approaches have succeeded and failed? One for BCA to pick up on, IMO.

Roger W

emgee said:
Described as Chinese Stalactite and on sale in the gift shop in the showcave at Treak.

I am surprised!  Not at Chinese stal being chiselled out of Chinese caves and offered for sale, but at Treak selling the stuff.  I know they stock their shop with all kinds of mineral samples, but I would have thought they wouldn't be wanting to encourage people to collect stal...

E

emgee

Roger W said:
emgee said:
Described as Chinese Stalactite and on sale in the gift shop in the showcave at Treak.

I am surprised!  Not at Chinese stal being chiselled out of Chinese caves and offered for sale, but at Treak selling the stuff.  I know they stock their shop with all kinds of mineral samples, but I would have thought they wouldn't be wanting to encourage people to collect stal...

Rather amusingly while the guides will assure you that Blue John comes only from one hillside and there's nothing like it in the world the gift shop sells chinese flourite that looks just the same. Makes you wonder where the stuff in the jewellery comes from.

whitelackington

The Russian Orthodox Church has expressed indignation at an attempt to sell a skull and bone allegedly belonging to Saint Philipp.

The advert for the remains appeared on a Russian website.

It described the relic as "remains of an Orthodox saint, in good condition, with an inscription on the cranium confirming the saint's name".

The Church has not said whether it thinks the bone and skull are real, but has described the ad as "immoral".

The seller, Boris Georgiev, a retired Soviet Army colonel, told BBC News he was "acting on behalf a friend".

According to Mr Georgiev, the 16th-Century relic was brought to St Petersburg at the height of the Bolshevik anti-religion campaign in the 1920s.

cap n chris

whitelackington said:
The Church has not said whether it thinks the bone and skull are real, but has described the ad as "immoral".

Hmm. Attracting vast numbers of pilgrims to visit reliquaria (containing the mortal remains of saints) displayed in cathedrals throughout Europe, with pilgrims making offerings (i.e. money) to pray for the saint's intervention in their lives isn't immoral, then?

Kettle. Pot. Black. Calling. The.

Rearrange.

E

emgee

cap 'n chris said:
whitelackington said:

Hmm. Attracting vast numbers of pilgrims to visit reliquaria (containing the mortal remains of saints) displayed in cathedrals throughout Europe, with pilgrims making offerings (i.e. money) to pray for the saint's intervention in their lives isn't immoral, then?

Kettle. Pot. Black. Calling. The.

Rearrange.

Ah you fail to realise the distinction between the franchise holder doing it and someone else doing it.

Incidentally going back to the original topic my email to the DCA Conservation officer remains unanswered. Make of that what you will.