Afton Rift on the net

mrodoc

I have posted some pics of Afton in www.darkanddeep.co.uk for those who want to know what it looks like.

Peter Burgess

Thanks for this. I missed a trip to this cave in the 80s and have never been back, so now I can see what it is like. For some reason I found the entrance passage awkward and decided to give the trip a miss.

mrodoc

I suspect you halted at the exposed looking and slippery traverse around the second corner that has caused many an experienced caver to think twice. I would like to get a photo of it but there's nowhere secure for a photographer to stand!  The round trip ascends just back from there. It is well worth a trip if you get the chance although the final squeeze is rather tight - in fact I am wondering how I will get on with it next time!

Les W

mrodoc said:
although the final squeeze is rather tight - in fact I am wondering how I will get on with it next time!

Why?

Have you got bigger since you were last there?  ;)

Peter Burgess

mrodoc said:
I suspect you halted at the exposed looking and slippery traverse around the second corner that has caused many an experienced caver to think twice.

Yes, that sounds very familiar. I can't recall seeing a way on ascending nearby. If only we had known. I recall on that same trip to Devon being taken into a wonderful bone cave by Wilf 'Squeak' Joint. The Joint-Mitnor Bone Cave, probably. A good holiday, it was.