How did you get into caving in the first place?

cap n chris

This is a question which one frequently hears and it would be interesting to know whether other cavers began similarly (i.e. as a child) or whether there is a multiplicity of routes to the world of dark moistness. I don't give a fig whether you have a pseuodnym, but it would be nice to hear of any variations in how people started their caving obsession. :shock: I can rite in espeak if u prefer.

underground

I absolutely hated caving as a kid- did stuff through the Scouts and ended up getting into climbing for years, but caving was the living end as far as i was concerned back then.

Then SamT and Bubba coerced me into a trip down Giant's, which I only agreed to so I could be qualified at saying I still hated caving, yet for some strange reason I was hooked the moment i stepped into the entrance- and that was that, caving and digging twice a week ever since!

And no need to rite in e-speak Chris :LOL:

SamT

Grew up in castleton, used to go for walks on the lead rakes and was fascinated by the mine shafts :shock: . Then , aged about 11 - 16 went on a few trips with my dad and some of his mates. Really easy stuff. Suicide cave, giants as far as garlands etc. Then in scouts did some good stuff - a bit in yorkshire 8) .

Then like Underground - discovered climbing and have spent the last 15 years doing that. Then bumbed into an old school friend in a pub in castleton (Tony Revell - of Bagshawe cavern fame) and he took me out again - now, having become disenchanted by the climbing 'scene' Im out twice a week digging and havnt been climbing for 2 years.

Hoorahh. :D

How about you?

dunc

"Curiousity"
I had visited Ingleborough then White Scar showcaves and out of curiousity me and a friend whilst out walking decided to try and find a cave marked on the map and then another day out walking and another few caves to find and the interest just grew from there and got completely out of hand!! :D

cap n chris

What about studenty types? - why did you get into it?... were the pictures alluring (or the women? Fnaar!); are SamT and Dunc students? - you post your emails late in the day.

My caving began at around age 10 by visiting a local mine with a mate and his dad (far too simple for "proper" cavers but re-visited it a few weeks back and, boy, did that bring back memories). Then joined school caving club and had a friend who had caves just at the back of his garden so used to go there lots, despite being told not to under any circumstances by his Mum (who we ignored, of course). Lied like hell to explain away all the mud covering us when we returned for supper etc.. Didn't do much after that until I got ancient and went again on my 30th b'day (for old time's sake); been going pretty much non-stop ever since... 7 years - my goodness time flies when you're having fun.

Perhaps there's more to life, though. :?:

dunc

Ohhh, I wish!! I gave up being a student about 10 years ago and started work, daft idea really, anyway.. I'm 28 at the moment, started caving when I was 23.. no sign of stopping either, is there any escape????? :?

cap n chris

:D Perhaps we're just a self-selecting bunch of obsessional retentives who would probably be called hermits in another culture or time - presumably most people accessing a caving forum are already nuts about the underworld otherwise they wouldn't be checking out sites about it. So, there's probably not much chance of finding a representative sample of "Why you got into caving in the first place" since most people who've given it a go and decided it's not for them (bit like when I had a go at hang-gliding) are "lost" to the rest of us. Mind you, that's no reason not to ask the question in the first place, I suppose, and still makes the topic a relevant one for the contributors to this forum - discuss.

:x That said, I suppose another quite fair question would be "What keeps you going caving?... don't you get bored of it?" - that's one my folks keep asking me but I suspect they're just trying to wean me off something they consider dangerous and a potential life-shortener (which perhaps it is). Perhaps they care about me, despite the constant beatings as a small cherub. (Miniature violins in background).

Oh well. Mustn't waste virtual space with ramblings; time for another voice to be heard above the tumult, perchance. :roll:

J

Jonathan T

Quite simple really. Started hiking with scouts, got into climbing and having always had a sense of adventure and enjoyed exploring, started caving when a more experienced friend really got into it.

underground

Cap'n Chris said:
Perhaps there's more to life, though. :?:

In what sense do you mean, Cap'n? In my opinion whatever motivates me and inspires is the primary factor- so whilst I do tend to spend nearly all my spare time underground or thinking about things underground, I don't consider myself to be an obsessive nutter.

I do tend to find a lot of things and people tedious since I started caving though- it certainly turned my world around and gave me fresh eyes on life. Someone at work called me an arrogant bastard recently- but strangely I felt qualified to be arrogant having been places and done challenging things most of them would never even consider in their mediocre lives.... 8)

But there always has to be more to life in the wider sense, what if one day you can't go caving anymore?

bubba

Administrator
underground said:
so whilst I do tend to spend nearly all my spare time underground or thinking about things underground, I don't consider myself to be an obsessive nutter.
Yeah, but all your mates do :wink:

underground said:
I felt qualified to be arrogant having been places and done challenging things most of them would never even consider in their mediocre lives....
Hmmmm..... do you really know what these people get up to? How do you know they're not out base-jumping in their spare time or something? A dangerous attitude imho.

underground

You only have to listen to most of them to realise they're sat on their idle arses all night and all weekend.

Why dangerous?

bubba

Administrator
Because it promotes elitism and arrogance. Not everyone is cut out for "adventure sports" but that doesn't make them less worthy of respect as people. And to many people, caving would seem mediocre and boring - eg: what's so exciting about digging out a hole in some remote muddy part of cave, night after night for months?

cave junky

I have been caving all my life due my parents being cavers so have been brought up in the caving world. I have been carried though many places as the water was too deep for me to walk, now that is the way to do go caving. Over the last 5 or 6 years I have moved away from caving and become an active digger. In my experience being brought up being a caver was not a good thing all my friends think I'm weired going down small muddy holes and they really don't have a clue. I am starting university in September so this will probably mean little caving for the next 3 years :cry:

bubba

Administrator
I can't actually remember how I got into it really - I used to always mess about in the caves when we were climbing at Symond's Yat - we'd sleep in them and explore with torches if it was raining.

When I came to Sheffield I think I did it as a wet weather alternative to climbing, just me and a mate of mine, we never joined clubs or anything. Was caving for about five years or something, then she moved away and I just drifted out of it and gave up for about a decade and only started again quite recently when SamT suggested a trip down Giant's.

cap n chris

It's heartening to read that there probably isn't more to life than squelching around in gravel'n'sh*te. :p
OK, so it's not for everyone but I derive a great sense of achievement and inner peace on completion from caving (in many guises - conservation, leading, digging... whatever). The expression "I'm glad I found caving or... perhaps caving found me" has some aptness.

underground

Cap'n Chris said:
OK, so it's not for everyone but I derive a great sense of achievement and inner peace on completion from caving (in many guises - conservation, leading, digging... whatever). The expression "I'm glad I found caving or... perhaps caving found me" has some aptness.

I couldn't agree more. In the short while I've been caving I have changed a hell of a lot for the better, and I'm a lot happier as a result. I've gained confidence, self reliance, fitness, a huge sense of acheivement. I feel that I finally got to a stage where I know who I am and it's a good thing. I think that's where the arrogance comes in because I couldn't give a f**k about what people I'm not close to think...

underground

bubba said:
Because it promotes elitism and arrogance. Not everyone is cut out for "adventure sports" but that doesn't make them less worthy of respect as people. And to many people, caving would seem mediocre and boring - eg: what's so exciting about digging out a hole in some remote muddy part of cave, night after night for months?

I can see your point about how people may view caving, which is understandable- although that view is often borne out of misconception. But I'm not referring specifically to 'adventure sports' am I? Nor am I being elitist- I'm not saying, 'we're the best, and you're not' or attempting to isolate anyone as a result of their lack of experience. I was talking about my personal experiences through caving juxtaposed against the majority of people (in this case at work) who I can confidently say do not have the same level of passion about life as I do, nor the depth of experience in matters out of the ordinary. And no, that doesn't make them any less worthy of respect as people, although given the opportunity I'd rather spend my time with someone who told me about the basket weaving course they've just attended than someone who'd just watched Eastenders and been to the pub.
Off the point of Chris' original thread but there you go....

SamT

cave junky said:
I am starting university in September so this will probably mean little caving for the next 3 years :cry:

Are you having a laugh - :?:

University - work hard(ish) Play hard :wink:

Loads of holidays, wednesday afternoons to leap into the minibus and pile off to the nearest caving.

I spent my university years climbing - great fun - The chance meet loads like minded people.

Where are you off to and have you seen huws 'universitys for caving' thread.

cave junky

I'm off to Central Lancashire in Preston near to the Dales which isn't too bad but they don't have a caving club as far as I know.

cap n chris

Underground wrote:

...given the opportunity I'd rather spend my time with someone who told me about the basket weaving course they've just attended than someone who'd just watched Eastenders and been to the pub.

I think this was generally covering the idea of people being passionate about any activity - not just caving, of course - and that spending time in the company of dullards who have no enthusiasm for anything (be it basket-weaving, twig-sculpturing, egg-painting or caving) is grindingly soul-destroying. I don't know what point I'm trying to make but feel that when life is enhanced by an activity which sets ablaze your enthusiasm and makes everything fresh, vigorous, new... exciting even... it doesn't get much better - unless you happen to be blinkered and don't know when you're on to a good thing. Perhaps I'm wrong - it wouldn't be the first time - but it creates enjoyment for me and those around me so don't knock it, eh?
:D