Do you see stars....

bubba

Administrator
....in the daytime if you stand at the bottom of a big shaft like Eldon Hole or similar and look up?

SamT

Errrm - not been down EH during daylight.

I see em if Im pissed up and suddenly look skyward. :?

bubba

Administrator
Same here - some guys at work were asking. Actually, EH might let too much light in, but perhaps Gaping Ghyll might do the trick?

bubba

Administrator
I mean actual stars - you know, there's the old story about being at the bottom of a well and being able to see stars, even when it's light.

I don't think Eldon is deep enough - I reckon it'd need to be quite dark at the bottom for the effect to work.

ian mckenzie

Impossible. The stars would not be any more visible than they are on the surface. Perhaps even less so, as your pupils will be wide open for the low-light you are in, and the daylight outside will seem very bright...

There are some other neat daylight effects tho. On a windy day, with the sun shining but not directly visible out the entrance, a cloud passing over the entrance will actually brighten the interior of the cave, as it increases the amount of indirect light reflected back in...

bubba

Administrator
Yeah, think it's an old wive's tale:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/wonderquest/2001-09012-daytime-stars.htm

Mark

Watched a programme on Sky telly the other night "Brainiac" one of the theories was you can see stars in daylight from the bottom of a deep well. they couldnt find a deep well so they did it from inside a chimney, all you can see is daylight
They also tested "indistructable" items one of which was a peli case which did really well until they blew it up in an old caravan with two weather balloons filled with propane and oxygen

T

Titch98

I've seen a few after cracking my head (teach me not to remove my helmet to scratch me head and still wonder around.....!).

Does this count???

:D