happy birthday to ukcaving

Stu

since i signed up on the 17th january and i was about the third or whatever person, so it cant have been started too much before...happy belated birthday!

two things

1 what are the general views/consensus of the site. i suppose its easy to draw parallels with rocktalk, and god forbid it should ever get like that, could we suppose one day it'll have that sites presence?

2 how many independant ie non club associated, cavers are members of the forum? me for one and at least one other (jon t)?

bubba

Administrator
Cheers Stu - you're pretty damn close, it was the 16th Jan.

- Don't worry, it won't ever get like Rocktalk. ukBouldering.com is way more popular than this site and is still free from the trolling and abuse of Rocktalk.

- A caving forum is always going to be smaller and slower than a climbing forum because of numbers of people into the respective sports.

I'm fairly pleased with how this site is going - it'll take a long time to grow, but it's already proving to be a useful resource in some areas. A good forum takes time to build, but it's going ok so far.
It's a bit of a shame that more clubs didn't take up our offer of their own, self-moderated sub-forum - not sure why really.

SamT

:D

Yes - happy birthday indeed - and thanks to bubba for keeping it maintained etc.

As for the Site - I think its fine as it is - a few more emoticons would be nice - like the extra ones on UKbouldering.com.
(I dont happen to like the new ukbouldering.com look - although I'm informed you can personalise it.)

I hope it doesnt ever get like cocktalk. 4000 posts on how to do your bootlaces up by numpties who cant even climb out of bed. Plus all the trolling/abuse that goes on.

I hope that UKcaving will grow to be the one place cavers call at to swap news/info suggestions gossip etc.

The CDG forum is well used. as is the .rec site but I think neither of them are as user friendly as this site (Im still not sure how to access the .rec newsgroups :oops: )

So - Keep on posting.

SamT

Oh as for club membership - Im Eldon.

Does that mean you dont have insurance stu or do you have your own policy.

dunc

It's a bit of a shame that more clubs didn't take up our offer of their own, self-moderated sub-forum - not sure why really.
Its a good idea but could be many reasons why its not been taken up - Some clubs are small with not many members others have members that don't have access to the net.. Or it could be they don't wish to discuss club matters in such a fashion and feel its just as easy to chat about general topics in the main forums as they would have more responses.. Some people don't like forums of any kind and most of the rec.caving regulars seem to frown upon such things as web based forums :? (why I don't know!) - maybe as more members join it might take off then..

Definitely agree this is a good site, its slowly been building up since I joined and has become useful, glad I joined. :)

You sure you don't know how to access .rec newsgroups SamT..?:wink: It wouldn't suprise me if some of the die hard regulars grumbled about that post and argue the worth of web based forums..their loss!

bubba

Administrator
Dunc said:
Some people don't like forums of any kind and most of the rec.caving regulars seem to frown upon such things as web based forums :? (why I don't know!)
dinosaurs.jpg

Dunc said:
Definitely agree this is a good site, its slowly been building up since I joined and has become useful, glad I joined. :)
Cheers :D

SamT

so is my message there then - :D

I dont seem to be able to see it. But Ive just noticed that two people have joined thisafternoon - one who's a regular poster on uk.rec.caving.

Bubba - stop abusing .rec :p

T

Titch98

Bloomin' marvellous, I say...............bloomin' marvellous!!

Seriously, good job and pat on the back for all the work everyone concerned puts into the site and other associated "sites". Spent a while before finding ukcaving.com looking for a decent caving forum to exchange ideas, information and knowlege on..............not too many around. Will be sticking around for a long time because it will be nice to see this community grow.

By the way, I'm not that anonymous ( :) SamT)........that is my name, not just an ID. Full name is Malcolm Evans, but since my days of running around the fields in green and blowing stuff up (!), everyone calls me by my nickname Titch..........even the family.

Lastly, I am currently an independant caver, but looking at starting up the North Nottinghamshire Speleological Society sometime within this year (sorting all paperwork out at present). There will be a website coming up soon with information about the NNSS, its aims, objectives and other information. Will post a link when more information is available.

bubba

Administrator
SamT said:
As for the Site - I think its fine as it is - a few more emoticons would be nice - like the extra ones on UKbouldering.com.

Got the same set of smilies as ukb now - have fun!

Stu

SamT said:
Oh as for club membership - Im Eldon.

Does that mean you dont have insurance stu or do you have your own policy.

i was about to join the bcra scheme just before the debacle, then someone suggested and now i'm probably going to go with the new scheme. i cant remeber why i mentioned individual members, i think it had something to do with how involved can such people get in something like access to peak cavern or titans as an instance? or, as a friend seems vaguely inclined to do, do some digging?