Therion Get Together at EuroSpelio

Duncan S

A few of us are planning to meet at EuroSpelio for a Therion get together.
It's not a training session, but to swaps tips, tricks and best practices.

I'm expecting it will cross into Disto working practices as good data makes drawing in Therion far easier.

Posting here in UKC to gauge how much interest there is from others.

damian

Brilliant idea - if you want to make this slightly more formal, we'll happily put up a sign-up sheet in the Caving Tent or at Reception. We'll be doing this for other workshops. However if you're happy without, that's fine.

Duncan S

Cheers Damian,
Lets see what happens in this thread and gauge the level of interest before committing to anything.
But it does seems a good idea :)

Andyj23UK

i am utterly iccapable of any contribution to your plan - but if people are willing to do a " workshop for idiots " 0 i will attend as " idiot "

Duncan S

Andyj23UK said:
i am utterly iccapable of any contribution to your plan - but if people are willing to do a " workshop for idiots " 0 i will attend as " idiot "
I'm afraid this get together isn't what you need!
However... They do run Surveying with Therion courses across the UK. I know because I sat in the back of one last year wishing I could take part. Best thing to do is ask your club, and if there isn't one scheduled for next year then they might be able to make it happen.

andrew

The usual offer is open to anyone; the CSG is willing to construct and deliver a course, at various levels, if anyone/club is willing to host and organise it. Contact me, email preferred, which can be obtained through the cave surveying website.

wookey

I think a get-together is an excellent idea. My plan was to have a 'surveyors meeting' sometime fairly early in the week (Sun evg or Mon) so that people knew who other surveyors were, and so we had an opportunity to discuss things. I would like to make that wider than just therion.

At Brno we had a meeting where we just went round and everyone said what they did, and what tools they used, and maybe new things they were working on/would like. It was interesting and helpful. From this we may well find that there is a need for other discussions/sessions/workshops during the week.

If I was clever I would have got this into the program weeks ago. But I'm not, so will try and get a notice up on Sat, maybe in the survey area and somewhere else people might notice.

So shall we try this first, _and_ have a speciifc separate Therion workshop?

christine

As a 'slight' aside, Anton Van Rosmalen is bringing his new sump mapper over (at my request). It is open source and producing decent results. He's only here for the Saturday and Sunday of Eurospeleo so if anyone wants to have a look at it, speak now and we'll have it handy..

Duncan S

wookey said:
I think a get-together is an excellent idea. My plan was to have a 'surveyors meeting' sometime fairly early in the week (Sun evg or Mon) so that people knew who other surveyors were, and so we had an opportunity to discuss things. I would like to make that wider than just therion.

At Brno we had a meeting where we just went round and everyone said what they did, and what tools they used, and maybe new things they were working on/would like. It was interesting and helpful. From this we may well find that there is a need for other discussions/sessions/workshops during the week.

If I was clever I would have got this into the program weeks ago. But I'm not, so will try and get a notice up on Sat, maybe in the survey area and somewhere else people might notice.

Go for it  :beer:

I like your thinking.
Just knowing who is there, what they are using, and what they are doing with it would be a great way to get people talking to each other.

Back that up with some tips and tricks swap meets and it'll be just what I need at the mo.

I'll be on site from mid morning on Friday helping set up. If we can catch each other that would be great!  (y)

cavermark

wookey said:

Yes please  (y)

damian

We're looking at timetabling you a meeting on Sunday early evening. I'm checking with our lectures team and, if it's alright, we'll send an email to all delegates advertising it along with the CRO open-evening in Clapham on Wednesday.

Duncan S

damian said:
We're looking at timetabling you a meeting on Sunday early evening. I'm checking with our lectures team and, if it's alright, we'll send an email to all delegates advertising it along with the CRO open-evening in Clapham on Wednesday.
That'll do nicely!
Thanks  :beer:

wookey

damian said:

Well done Damian - I'm impressed with your efficiency. Just mention the idea and 'tis done! 

I assume from our mail conv that this did in fact make it into the timetable. The online schedule says 'TBC' still. http://eurospeleo.uk/program/index.php I hereby confirm that I'll turn up to chair such a thing :)  Are we waiting for anything else to declare it 'confirmed'?

damian

wookey said:
I assume from our mail conv that this did in fact make it into the timetable. The online schedule says 'TBC' still. http://eurospeleo.uk/program/index.php I hereby confirm that I'll turn up to chair such a thing :)  Are we waiting for anything else to declare it 'confirmed'?
It is confirmed really. I think it's waiting for our rather busy lecture team to click the relevant button. 6pm Sunday Room 1.