Expedition equipment - gas cylinders and useful misc

not_a_climber

I have a two part question about exped kit and I'm hoping to to crowd source knowledge from the caving hive-mind:

1 - At the SUSS Tresviso camp we will be cooking on gas, both literally and (hopefully) figuratively. We've got hold of two gas cyclinders (I think the 11kg ones but maybe 18kg) which we can refill in the UK. Can anyone advise on how much gas we're might be expected to go through cooking for 27 people on two gas burners, for evening meal and also boiling water for breakfasts, in two weeks? Also, are you able to refill the big calor gas cyclinders in Spain?

2 - Does anyone have advice of miscellaneous items that are surprisingly useful for mountain camps? I've already been advised things such as clothes pegs, extra cord for washing lines, and extra cord and pegs for strapping down tents more securely. I'm sure there are other useful bit and bobs that might get overlooked but make life a lot easier.

Thanks!

Tseralo

not_a_climber said:
2 - Does anyone have advice of miscellaneous items that are surprisingly useful for mountain camps? I've already been advised things such as clothes pegs, extra cord for washing lines, and extra cord and pegs for strapping down tents more securely. I'm sure there are other useful bit and bobs that might get overlooked but make life a lot easier.

Group Kit
  • Plenty of bog roll and a trowel
  • Kit to repair air mattresses if people are using them
  • Spares for your gas stoves and the kit to clean them
  • Needle and thread, get good thread  or your wasting your time
  • Spare lighters or matches especially if your stoves are piezo they always break at the worst time
  • tenacious tape is amazing for repairing rips in tents, and other waterproof gear put it on both sides and leave a flat rock on it for a little while
  • If you don't know what the ground will be like multiple types of pegs especially a few nail and spade pegs

Personal Kit
  • Yes a jumper works but if your camping for a long time an I like a having a small pillow
  • If you're lugging heavy gear up a mountain I find sticks helpfull Mountain Warehouse has some cheap carbon fiber ones that are not bad.
  • Sleeping bag liners don't wight much especially silk and can add some extra warmth to a bag or used on their own if it's very hot
  • Flipflops weigh nothing slip into a bag easily and after a long day in boots are nice to wear around camp
  • You will be glad of a pee bottle when it's howling a gale and pissing it down at 2 am when you need the loo. Don't miss though.
  • Boil your water the in the evening and fill your flask then it will still be warm you have some for breakfast and to wash with in the morning. If its mega cold stick it in your sleeping bag between your legs.

aricooperdavis

not_a_climber said:
Also, are you able to refill the big calor gas cyclinders in Spain?

No, Calor is UK only. Campingaz cylinders you usually can, and I believe you can buy an adaptor that allows you to refill Calor Gas canisters but don't take my word for it.

nickwilliams

Bear in mind that you may have problems transporting gas cylinders that size on a ferry. You certainly won't be allowed to carry them in a car through the tunnel.

Just because you can carry gas cylinders in a caravan (in the right compartment) or fitted to feed an LPG conversion, does not mean that you will be allowed to carry loose cylinders in a car even though the risks might objectively be similar.

You may be OK, but you'd be well advised to check with the ferry company first.

If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you my expedition kit list.

paul

Good point Nick. We met two Belgian lads while walking the West Highland Way a few years ago and they had their gas cartridges confiscated while travelling on Eurostar. Unfortunately none of the shops they tried afterwards had gas cartridges to fit their stove and although they sold other cartridges, none of the shops sold stoves! They were existing on a diet of breakfast bars for the week.

Wolfo

To avoid these transportation risks, we only use gasoline/petrol stoves.
The energy/weight ratio is also way better.

SamT

On the assumption that your burner has an orange rubber hose to connect to the gas bottle.

Get a Camping Gaz regulator - and buy large Camping Gaz cylinders over there.  Slovenia is pretty well served for that kind of thing.

https://www.towsure.com/campingaz-907-refillable-empty-gas-cylinder?gclid=CjwKCAjw4PHZBRA-EiwAAas4Zgg0Xl5VLBthMBHjIjHBukGL1i50ZA9NrFCGctHt11nlUEWElyB6UBoCYUgQAvD_BwE