Caving on TV

Jenny P

A really positive TV piece about caving on Tuesday evening:  More 4, ?The Yorkshire Dales and the Lakes?, the last segment of the programme starting at about 9.45pm.  A caving instructor took a small group of elderly ladies (one aged 80+) from Hardraw Village into Kingsdale Master Cave.  The group had decided they wanted to do something active and a bit more thrilling than the usual occupations considered suitable for ?elderly ladies? and opted for caving.

The ladies clearly thoroughly enjoyed themselves, were well looked after by a very empathetic instructor who made sure they were safe while abseiling into the streamway and climbing the ladder out afterwards.  Seeing them sitting at the top of the pitch, in their caving gear, enjoying tea and cakes after their climb was an absolute delight.  Top marks for Helen, the Instructor.

braveduck

Yes it was brilliant .But spoilt by the introduction of Kingsdale Master Cave with the words
"the scene of many cave rescues ".Totally unnecessary media comment spoiling something very good. 

Huge

Happened on this as my wife was flicking through the channels. An excellent piece showing caving in a good light. I agree that the instructor was excellent and the Master Cave was filmed very well. And the ladies did very well abseiling and climbing the ladder!

My wife loves it, of course, as I give a running commentary when any caving comes on TV. "Oh, Valley Entrance." "There's a wet bit coming up soon." "Oh, they are wearing harnesses. They must be going down the pitch." "There's a really long sump, just off to the right there." Etc, etc, etc!!! [emoji5]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jenny P

braveduck said:
Yes it was brilliant .But spoilt by the introduction of Kingsdale Master Cave with the words
"the scene of many cave rescues ".Totally unnecessary media comment spoiling something very good.

Agree that this was not necessary - but media seems to delight in insinuating that all cavers do in caves is have accidents and get rescued.  (And they never mention that it's cavers themselves who provide the rescue teams!)  However, a collection of jolly ladies enjoying themselves rather exposed that as a silly and pointless remark.

mrodoc

As I rapidly  approach the point when I can be considered elderly I am reminded of an occasion when I was asked to give a talk on caving  to a group of older people. The organizer told me that they would find it interesting as none of them would have done any. In fact several people came to me with interesting reminiscences about caving back in the '50's- much to the organizers surprise.

CatM

I was amused by the "seven metre drop into the ABYSS" - overdramatisation at its best.

Overall a nice piece though!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

yrammy

It was inspiring. I'm looking at venturing underground again it I can find an oversuit for a 5' 4" fat  lady with a knackered body!  Maybe there is room for OAP caver article............... 

Mary 

Ian Ball

Aaaargh!

I just chopped up a 5'4" wide womans wetsuit to use as knee pad inserts.

All you need is a light :)

ib

earthlight

My mother (71) phoned me last night to tell me about this. Not realising it was one I had done when younger. She sounded wistfully tempted but wasn't sure about the crawling parts. Absolutely fair play to anyone trying an activity like this later in life

hhoops

Hello all. I was asked yesterday if I had had any feedback about the TV appearance of Hardraw Ladies. I hadn't thought to check UKcaving but did so this morning. I'm so glad that I now have something positive to take back to the ladies as they were keen to pass on the message that it's never to late to give things a go. I am thinking of organising a weekend (or mid week couple of days) at the bunkhouse, aimed at older adults who would like to give cavng a go/refresh lapsed skills. An active but sociable couple of days...if anyone would be interested please get in contact on 07546894317. Thanks for all your comments--the ladies will be so pleased.

Ian Ball

Is it something which would be good on the New to Caving website?

Hhoops, I've a question, how did you come to choose that trip? 

JasonC

A brief mention in Look North:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09dy4dn/look-north-yorkshire-evening-news-16112017
- from about 18 mins in.

Harry Gration and Amy Garcia risking life and limb down Upper Long Churns, but it's all for charidee