Arson Shaft

langcliffe

The rebelay on the bottom pitch of Arson Shaft was getting very tight, so the top section of rope has been replaced (11 mm). Some spare was left at the Y-hang, in case it happens again.

We seem to be unlucky at the moment. On the last four trips we have found abandoned ropes dominating the bolts, which is a right pain. Goblin Route had been left half-rigged by a party; someone had left a rope on the Turbary Pot pull-through bolts; and  an 8 mm rope was hanging down the Lancaster Hole entrance shaft (it had been there for over a week, apparently). The exception was Long Drop - which is just as well, as I wouldn't fancy having to negotiate two ropes at the top of those pitches...

Greybeard

Yes, it's high time people realised the problems they cause by leaving ropes in caves unnecessarily.
Permanently rigging on pull through bolts shows complete inexperience but I suppose the 'lame ' excuse is the Lock Down.
Man up and get it sorted.

Fjell

The 60m 8mm rope is still in Lanc entrance. It?s going to have a sad time of it and needs putting out of it?s misery.

It is marked something like ?KGS?.

Apologies about 'Goblin' (I'm presuming it was our rope and a tackle sac).
We had been caught out by some heavier than expected rain while underground. As we derigged I concluded that the safest way out of the bedding plane was to leave the rope in (to keep away from the water spout, and reduce the encumbarance). The planned recovery was delayed a few days by a family issue.

skippy

The rope in Turbary will be removed shortly. Anyone is free to use it with the understanding it's used at own risk.. Like you will be doing when using the fixed rope in VE or the fixed first pitch in Swinsto or Toyland.
If in the meantime you'd rather use your own rope for a pull through, please lift the ropes and secure at the pitch head using one of the other bolts.
However, to reiterate, the ropes will be taken out shortly.

langcliffe

skippy said:
The rope in Turbary will be removed shortly. Anyone is free to use it with the understanding it's used at own risk.

Have these ropes been taken out yet, Skippy? We're thinking of having a trip down there this week, weather permitting, but we'll go elsewhere if there are still ropes on the pull-through bolts.

Fjell

Purely in a spirit of enquiry, which are the pukka pull down bolts? The ones on the left with the rope over the edge, or the interesting-to-get-to-without-a-traverse-line ones actually over the edge? Or the others...

The whole thing does seem to lend itself to a light-hearted exchange rather than pull through.

Who is the owner of the admirably-placed fixed bolts on the right into final chamber? They seem to be a ladder. An improvement over climbing back up to the ones under the boulder.

langcliffe

Fjell said:
Purely in a spirit of enquiry, which are the pukka pull down bolts? The ones on the left with the rope over the edge, or the interesting-to-get-to-without-a-traverse-line ones actually over the edge? Or the others...

The whole thing does seem to lend itself to a light-hearted exchange rather than pull through.

Who is the owner of the admirably-placed fixed bolts on the right into final chamber? They seem to be a ladder. An improvement over climbing back up to the ones under the boulder.

Assuming that we're referring to Turbary Pot...

I've used the ones on the true left for standard rigging, and the ones under the lip with the tat for protection for a pull-through.

The ones on the ledge I've used for both standard rigging and for pull-throughs. It may be possible to pull-through the whole pitch using the bolts on the top, but splitting it at the ledge means that one can get away with a couple of 20 m ropes.

skippy

I'm reliably informed the ropes will definately be out next weekend.
You are more that welcome to used them and they should be  in more than adequate Condition.

langcliffe

skippy said:
I'm reliably informed the ropes will definately be out next weekend.
You are more that welcome to used them and they should be  in more than adequate Condition.

Thanks for the update - we'll go elsewhere.

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Re: fixed ropes generally.  (Separate thread maybe)

What constitutes an acceptable place for a fixed rope ?

Why is the fixed rope on Turbary pot an issue yet the one on the first pitch of Swinsto is fine ?

Obviously lots of other locations with ?debatable? fixed ropes.

A genuine curiosity. 

Ian

langcliffe

Ian P said:
Why is the fixed rope on Turbary pot an issue yet the one on the first pitch of Swinsto is fine ?

The "fixed rope" in Turbary Pot is not a fixed rope - it was left in place a month or so ago on a CPC trip for some reason, and has yet to be retrieved. As Skippy said further up this thread on 17th November: "The rope in Turbary will be removed shortly".

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
langcliffe said:
Ian P said:

The "fixed rope" in Turbary Pot is not a fixed rope - it was left in place a month or so ago on a CPC trip for some reason, and has yet to be retrieved. As Skippy said further up this thread on 17th November: "The rope in Turbary will be removed shortly".

I did read Skippy is taking it out.
Out of curiosity. Hypothetically speaking if it is left in what is the difference to the rope on the first pitch of Swinsto?

Ian

langcliffe

Ian P said:
langcliffe said:
Ian P said:

I did read Skippy is taking it out.
Out of curiosity. Hypothetically speaking if it is left in what is the difference to the rope on the first pitch of Swinsto?

Ian

I'm certainly not going to attempt to justify the fixed rope on Swinsto first pitch. It serves no useful function, and I wish it wasn't there.