"RP" stone on Newby Moss

Pitlamp

Up on Newby Moss (Ingleborough) there is a small stone stuck in the ground, with "RP" carved on it. The stone is roughly 150 m south east from Fluted Hole, in an otherwise featureless patch.
Does anyone know what it's for?

I first became aware of it some time in the late 1990s, which made me wonder if it was to commemorate the late Rob Palmer, who died in 1997.

Attachments

• RP_stone(NewbyMoss)1.JPG
    RP_stone(NewbyMoss)1.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 424

paul

I found this link about it, but it isn't much help though: https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2993576

Pitlamp

Thanks Paul; that's actually very helpful as it shows the actual inscription.

I should have mentioned that the picture with my initial post was taken looking north west and the rim of the large Fluted Hole shakehole can just be made out very close to the horizon.

JJ

This stone marks the spot where a local farmer tragically died on the annual sheep gather. Attended by CRO but I can not remember the date, or the name unfortunately. Probably connected with Bleak Bank farm. RIP

Pitlamp

Many thanks JJ; you've just solved a mystery I've wondered about for years.

I'm delivering to Bleak Bank from the village shop whilst the pandemic's on, so I'll ask them when I'm next there.

JJ

Great glad that helps, Pitlamp. This may have been John's father or another family member? They will certainly know at Bleak Bank.

Pitlamp

Thanks for the lead JJ, which I've now followed up. You were absolutely right.

The "RP" on the commemorative stone was a Robert Preston who had a small holding at Ryecroft and used to drive for Prestons Farmers. He was involved on a gather about 24 or 25 years ago and when everyone got back off the hill they realised he was missing. They all went back up there and found him collapsed on the floor, sadly having suffered a fatal heart attack. (CRO was involved, so there will be an incident report somewhere, in case anyone ever wanted to find more detail about this in the future.)