CNCC Newsletter 8 Out Now!

CNCC

1534455654.jpg

The 8th in our series of newsletters (August 2018) is a bumper edition, with eight pages rather than the usual four. It is crammed with news covering conservation, access, training, anchor installation and other items from our region.

Click here to download: https://cncc.org.uk/publications/download.php?source=ukc&filename=CNCC_Newsletter_Issue8_Aug2018.pdf

Contents include:
  • The online cave booking system
  • Update on access to Langcliffe Estate
  • Efforts to promote greater awareness of our caves
  • Roaring Hole conservation and anchoring
  • Several new topos and cave descriptions
  • Latest CRoW news from the BCA
  • Two big events for northern cavers in 2019
  • Inspiration reports of Marble Sink anchoring
  • Paperless surveying course feedback
  • Plus loads more
Paper copies will be sent out, as usual, to all caving club huts in the UK, and various other locations (including Inglesport). If would like a few paper copies to make available to your members (or customers) please drop me an email (contact details on our website and in the newsletter).

Matt Ewles
Secretary, CNCC

CNCC

While I have your attention?

This is also a rather good opportunity to appeal for more people to get involved in what we do.

As mentioned in the editorial, we have always has a core group of about 15-20 clubs who come to our AGMs, give their opinions, thoughts and help guide what the Officers and Committee do for the following year. This includes most of the ?big? Dales clubs plus three student clubs too.

We?ve had a handful of new clubs join as members over the five years I have been Secretary (CDG Northern Section, SUSS, Durham CMC, Th?Owd Skool CC, Rubber Duck CC, thank you all) however probably an equal number of member clubs have become defunct in that time and stopped attending, meaning that our active numbers have remained more or less constant.

All organisations need new people getting involved and the CNCC is no exception. Not only do new individuals/members bring new ideas and perspectives, but it also inspires those already involved to see that others are keen to play a part in our work.

Our list of member clubs is here:

https://cncc.org.uk/about/clubs.php

If your club is not on this list but you have a significant involvement in northern caving, why not consider becoming a CNCC member? All we ask is attendance of one of your members to represent you at our AGM (usually in March on a Saturday in Hellifield, and usually finishing in time to go on a short caving trip after), and that you collect thoughts from your members on our agenda items and you share with them the latest goings on (for example by circulating the newsletter).

Just get in touch with me (contact details on our website) for more information. Some FAQs about membership can be found below:

https://cncc.org.uk/get-involved/membership/faqs.php

Interested individuals, regardless of club affiliation, are also extremely welcome just to come along to any of our meetings, where your thoughts and opinions will be welcomed. Meeting agendas are always online at least six weeks ahead and dates are advertised well in advance.

Our meetings are friendly, usually done by lunch time (lots of us like to go underground after), a good networking opportunity, and are often the best way to stay up to date with various issues and matters facing northern caving.

Thanks everyone!
Matt

Alex

Maybe if its not been done already build before one or two of the meetings into a social weekend. Meet at whatever the time is 9am?, Have the meeting til lunch, go caving either as a group or with whoever if existing plans. One problem I have, is I went  to the meeting, I would have no one to cave with by lunchtime as my mates would have buggered off.

Then once caving is over with go out drinking on the evening staying somewhere local like a bunkhouse. Hmm sort of sounds like a club but well it does have that in it's name lol.

damian

David Rose said:
Wow. What a superb newsletter. Kudos!
I'll second that. It's not just that the newsletter reads so well and is incredibly skillfully put together. It's also that the content displays a massive amount of work by the volunteers of the CNCC and, particularly - I think - Matt, Gary, Tim, Simon and Andrew. They, and all the other CNCC stalwarts deserve a huge thanks from the rest of us.

I am hugely impressed. Thank you everyone!

andys

Super effort - but can I make a suggestion that you put page numbering on it?
If you did, it would make it far easier to read (in the correct order!) when printing in 2up/duplex paper saving mode?
Apart from that, then brill!

GarDouth

Administrator
andys said:
Super effort - but can I make a suggestion that you put page numbering on it?

Agreed, the lack of numbering came from previous newsletters which were only 4 pages so I didn't think they were required. A bit late now but a new version with page numbers is now on the website :)

CNCC

Hi Alex

Interesting ideas. I like the idea in concept of making CNCC meetings into something that could be followed by caving and a few pints with other attendees. A great chance to meet new people. The complexities come in organising this; given vastly different capabilities of the attendees, the fact that most will have their own plans, plus the general complexities associated with organising any such event; it's hard enough even within one club let alone spanning many.

There is nonetheless an idea to explore here in some form...

Matt