1926-ish Mendip Cave Rescue - Goatchurch

ZombieCake

From the Caves of Mendip, H E Balch, 1926 (an early precursor of Mendip Underground): (typed verbatim, my italic emphasis)

"... In a valley - one of the twin-brooks - is there entrance to Goatchurch cavern, an intricate cave, with few large cavities, where Prof. Boyd Dawkins, in the days of his work in Mendip, found bones of the Pleistocene animals.  They appear to have been found in the passage reached by a right angled bend, just below the first little vertical drop.

This cave is not much beautified by stalactite, although there are nice portions near the entrance.
Years ago I entered a chamber in this cave, which no-one appears to have found since, and I myself could never find again.

At the lower part of this cave the stream, which disappears in the little valley below the entrance, re-appears, having lost many degrees in (summer) temperature in a few minutes journey through the rocks.  Near this stream I once saw a remarkable instance of vitality in a root and in a seedling which had been carried down by the stream.  The root was nettle and the seed I could not identify.  Each had started into life, and had sent out one long white shoot several yards in length, which had crept along the floor and turned upwards to the passage down which one comes to reach this place - growing towards the light.

Near this part of the cave are low, long, and difficult passages leading to no large cavities , and in one of these a member of our party years ago was absolutely jammed by a hard apple which he had unfortunately left in his pocket.  It was with difficulty that I released him.

It is only when ones reads of such a terrible happening as that of last year in Kentucky, when a poor fellow named Collins was caught by his foot, loosely held by a small rock, and lay there until he died, though five thousand people gathered above to effect his release, that one realizes the risks that must be run by cave explorers.

Recently the Sidcot students have discovered a promising entrance quite close to Goatchurch cave...."

The Burrington chapter this is from mentions Goatchurch, Aveline's, Read's, Foxes Hole, Plumley's, Rowberrow and a cryptic quote: "Somewhere near Burrington, Ritter tells of a cave, now unknown, in which a large number of human skeletons are said to exist.  It's whereabouts is a problem."
I have my Indiana Jones kitbag....

Book was published in 1926, but date of the apple incident isn't stated - anyone have any other info?