Browns Folly

Quietlyconfident

I'm thinking of visiting Browns folly sometime soon as i'm in the area in a few weeks.

Does anyone know how the muddy hole entrance lines up with the survey i've got (which is the first one that pops up on a google search)? I've always assumed that it's the location marked "squeeze" at the top, but then I always struggle to match the reality of the ground to the survey once I get in. If anyone can signpost me to a better survey too that would be much appreciated as i'm aware the one in question is pretty basic & dated.

Be useful to know if there are any issues anyone knows about too.

Cheers

PeteHall

Don't know the mine at all, but I have seen enough threads on here about it to feel like I do.

Worth doing a search on the forum (top right) as there has been a bit of trouble down there in the past. Others will no doubt be able to full you in on the current situation.

If I were you, I'd drive a few miles further and do something else.

crickleymal

Brown's is ok. I went in last autumn and met the "caretaker".
The Muddy Hole is some where in the East of the survey around the centre of the East side. To the right of the word Steps and to the left of Old Level  (quarry).

Quietlyconfident

crickleymal said:
Brown's is ok. I went in last autumn and met the "caretaker".
The Muddy Hole is some where in the East of the survey around the centre of the East side. To the right of the word Steps and to the left of Old Level  (quarry).

Cool thanks that might help a bit! I?ve never met the caretaker but I know of him.

Quietlyconfident

PeteHall said:
If I were you, I'd drive a few miles further and do something else.

It?s either that or Swildons and that means an additional drive to priddy plus sorting out additional kit...might be difficult to squeeze that in!

I?ve read most of the old threads, as far as I?m aware the big drama from a few years ago is over. I like Browns and it?s easily accessible when I?m passing through.

Brains

I think the SMCC used to provide a survey add on that showed MH and its relation to the rest of their survey...

Attachments

• Muddy Hole ent survey.jpg
    Muddy Hole ent survey.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 878

maxf

https://ukcaving.com/board/index.php?topic=19393.msg249191#msg249191

This thread helped me make sense after my visit via muddy hole

royfellows

Just out of interest, is "The caretaker" still around? he was subjected to a lot of grief some years back, as well as legitimate criticism of major changes made to the fabric of the mine. Bear in mind that in some areas the survey makes no sense because of this.

wildside

I did a trip into browns a couple of weeks ago with a small group and I haven't been for a long time the survey is no longer any good due to the amount of new walls that have been built etc ! But on the good side it is mega clean and tidy and if you do bump into the caretaker he is a mind of information and would maybe show you round!

Quietlyconfident

I?ve been a few times over the past few years so I know what you mean. It?s always been very clean and you can see that someone is stacking up the dead?s etc and trying to channel people down certain routes. I?ve never met the caretaker but fair play to him for looking after the place (given what I?ve heard about the trashing it got a while ago).