Brand new caver

Naomi S

Hello, have been having a read of the boards and thought I'd say hi.

Went caving in the Mendips last weekend for the first time (GB & Swildon's) with my club - and I think I may be hooked  (y) 

GB was my first cave and I really enjoyed it.  It was just stunning, what a great cave!  Swildon's was, well, very wet!!  I don't know what I was expecting but lets just say I got very cold and wet and as I was running on empty, we left before completing our planned short round  :-[  Next time for sure.

Got some SRT training next week just in time for going to Derbyshire next weekend  :clap:  Can't wait!

graham

Hi Naomi.

When you got the key for GB, you will recall that each member of the party had to sign a permit.

Did you read it?

Specifically, did you read the stuff on the box, lower right hand side?

Just asking.

Naomi S

graham said:
Hi Naomi.

When you got the key for GB, you will recall that each member of the party had to sign a permit.

Did you read it?

Specifically, did you read the stuff on the box, lower right hand side?

Just asking.

Oh dear.  I am guessing I did something wrong?  :(

graham

No, I am not getting at you, it's not your fault, but I'd be interested to know how whoever organised and led your trip explained away the rather obvious sign in the blockhouse that says "No Novices".

I stress, I am not blaming you.

Naomi S

graham said:
No, I am not getting at you, it's not your fault, but I'd be interested to know how whoever organised and led your trip explained away the rather obvious sign in the blockhouse that says "No Novices".

Ah yes, I thought it might be that!  Well that would be my fault.  I dive, I climb, I am very fit, not claustophobic, very keen and chose to just have a go. 

Where would you have suggested I went then?  Everyone has to do some cave first don't they or they would always be a novice  :) 

graham

Naomi S said:
graham said:

Ah yes, I thought it might be that!  Well that would be my fault.  I dive, I climb, I am very fit, not claustophobic, very keen and chose to just have a go. 

Where would you have suggested I went then?  Everyone has to do some cave first don't they or they would always be a novice  :)

It really doesn't matter how fit etc. that you are, you are still a novice and therefore unversed in how to move in a cave, hence the reason why we keep novices out of delicate places like GB and, especially, Bat Passage.

There are plenty of other caves on Mendip which do not require such constraints.

SamT

I think it says something about no novices in GB, but instead of congratulating you on a good effort and for discovering a wonderful exciting pastime, and wishing you well for the future, he's concentrating on the red tape, bureaucracy and litigiousness that dogs and plagues many of our wonderful and eccentric pastimes...and these forums  :mad:

Shame on you Graham  :spank: ( ;) )

Welcome  to the fourms Naomi -  (y)

cap n chris

Welcome to the forum, Naomi! - clearly you are a natural born caver as reading and writing are anathema to troglophiles. Perhaps you visited Swildon's Hole first, then GB, hence you would have been an experienced caver by the time you'd got to the "no novices" cave. Who organised and led your trip, btw?

Naomi S

It's a fair point though.  I can see why such stunning beautiful places should be protected.  I was very careful to make sure I didn't damage the cave at all.

Been here 5 seconds and I am causing rucks already! Oh dear  ::)

Well now I am not a novice anymore does anyone know where I might find a guide for Upper Flood?  :ang:  :LOL: 

Just kidding Graham  :kiss2: Probably best I get a bit of experience up first eh!  ;)

Mark

Welcome to the forum Naomi,

You've probably done more caving in the last week than some of the non novices on here

Brains

Welcome aboard this fun packed roller coaster of a forum, and also to the underground. There is lots to do in Derbyshire, with and without SRT. I am sure you will have a good time - please put up a report of what you get up (down) to and let us know how it goes.

paul

Yes - enjoy your trip to the Peak District! Caving isn't a pastime, it's an addiction!!