Afton Upper series (lighthouse chamber)

reforma

Hi ive done afton a fair few times but never the upper series that i have heard about. has anyone done it? is it as much of a pain in the arse as teh rest of the cave and how do i get to it thanks in advance.

reforma

hi i posted this in the digging section by mistake so here it is where it should be. Looking for info on Afton RR in general done it a few times and love it. wanted to know what the lighthouse chamber and upper series are like and if anyone was kind enough to discuss the feasibility of a dig down there that would be awesome. totaly new to digging so have no idea what it would involve realy but i have heard of a dig in the upper series and the Mud choke in crystal chamber looks like it must lead to something (this might be my nievity talking though) part of EUSS (exeter uni) so possible potential for many hands to make some light work. thanks guys.

mrodoc

Lighthouse series is entered from Flower Chamber which is the first Chamber you get to after doing all the traverses. It is entered high up on the far side. If I went there it was years ago but from my recolleciton it is pretty tight. The choke in Main Chamber might be worth a dig and the other site that Bill Tolfree dug once (and which I have never visited) is the intermittent stream passage off Mud Hall. This is the chamber not far from the Watkins Squeeze that gets you back to the base of the rift to complete the round trip. The stream passage is entered by an interesting climb into the roof to reach an obvious porthole. I have never worked out how to get to it but if my memory is correct you see a bar across. I would also suggest following any draughts. I have a separate PM from EUSS re dig sites and will respond to this soon.

alasdair neill

If you dig in Afton please get hold of a survey & ensure you are not heading close to the surface, as there has already been case (so it was rumoured) of a dig causing a surface collapse which nearly resulted in access being lost.

reforma

Ok thanks for the warning anyone know where i could get a decent survey i have tried to find one before but didnt have much luck.

mrodoc

For what it's worth there is a survey on the wall of Crest Hill the DSS HQ. Apart from that try Chris Proctor (see my PM) or it might be in the EUSS library if you have one!