Oberndorf Lift

Mattrees

Hi all,

I recently saw someone refer to the "Oberndorf Lift" as a rescue technique in vertical caving. This is a new one on me and Google only turns up results for ski lifts. Can anyone enlighten me?

Many thanks,

Matt

Stu

It'll be in Alpine Caving Techniques (or other manuals).

Essentially it's a second haul line (set up 2:1), rigged to the the main haul line. Requires a jammer/Prusik and a progress capture device and about 5-6 metres of rope. Pull then reset.

zzzzzzed

Mattrees said:
I recently saw someone refer to the "Oberndorf Lift" as a rescue technique in vertical caving. This is a new one on me and Google only turns up results for ski lifts. Can anyone enlighten me?
There's some information about it here.. ;)
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/st-johann-in-tiroloberndorf-harschbichl/ski-lifts/l89275/

Cantclimbtom

zzzzzzed said:
Mattrees said:
There's some information about it here.. ;)
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/st-johann-in-tiroloberndorf-harschbichl/ski-lifts/l89275/
That link says it has peak capacity to lift 550 people per hour by 50m, as a rescue techniques go, it'd cover the biggest rescue situations imaginable!

Mattrees

Stuart Anderson said:

Essentially it's a second haul line (set up 2:1), rigged to the the main haul line. Requires a jammer/Prusik and a progress capture device and about 5-6 metres of rope. Pull then reset.

A 2:1 pig rig then? Thanks.

Stu

Mattrees said:
Stuart Anderson said:

A 2:1 pig rig then? Thanks.

Sounds about right.