Disto Firmware update

kdxn

I did a firmware upgrade of the previous version and had no problems.
The increase to 1000 measurements is appreciated from my beta firmware that only had 500 measurement memory.

Have you followed Beat's instructions exactly ?
http://paperless.bheeb.ch/faq.html#NonLinearity

You could try the return to defaults button combination.
Otherwise contact Beat.

Swallowneck

Followed all instructions to the letter.
Had a mail from Beat with a possible solution. Maybe a .Net issue.
I will try it out and post the result along with the solution.

Swallowneck

Two hours of .net hell later, success.
Out surveying tomorrow night, if we can get underground. It looks a bit damp.

It seems something went wrong with the update.

Generally if the software stored on the device is partially wrong the device may crash immediately after startup.
It then appears as not powered but is actually running and cannot be switched off.
To switch it off you have to either remove the battery or reset the CPU (see picture).
After power off you have to switch it on in bootloader mode. Otherwise it will crash again.

One potential cause of the problem is a bug in the .NET Compact Framework 2.0
used on Windows Mobile 2003 and early Windows Mobile 5.0 Systems.
This can be corrected  by an update:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17981

Regards

Beat

Thanks Beat & Kevin

Goydenman

Swallowneck said:
Two hours of .net hell later, success.
Out surveying tomorrow night, if we can get underground. It looks a bit damp.

It seems something went wrong with the update.

Generally if the software stored on the device is partially wrong the device may crash immediately after startup.
It then appears as not powered but is actually running and cannot be switched off.
To switch it off you have to either remove the battery or reset the CPU (see picture).
After power off you have to switch it on in bootloader mode. Otherwise it will crash again.

One potential cause of the problem is a bug in the .NET Compact Framework 2.0
used on Windows Mobile 2003 and early Windows Mobile 5.0 Systems.
This can be corrected  by an update:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17981

Regards

Beat

Thanks Beat & Kevin

Shall I update mine hmmm........ :unsure:

kdxn

The v2.3 firmware update is for those Disto X310 units that have a non-linear tilt sensor.
Presumably these are more recent Disto X310 units.

Would be useful for people to post serial numbers of Disto X310 units that are proved to be non-linear.

How do you know whether you have a non-linear tilt sensor in your Disto X310 ?
The symptom is a persistent failure to achieve a Calibration Delta of less than 0.5
By upgrading to v2.3 and making sure your .NET framework is up to date. Do the calibration with the new NL mode and hopefully this will get you a calibration delta of less than 0.5.

A word of caution.
Before you decide you have a non-linear tilt sensor, make sure your calibration site is up to the job. Needs to be clear of metalwork, magnetic sources and electronic fields such as power cables and transmitter masts. That also includes yourself, make sure you are clean of magnetic and electronic items. Also make sure your calibration distances are over a reasonable distance. I suggest a distance of at least 5m, preferably more than 10m, to see how much wobble you have. It is important in the calibration to minimise the wobble especially for the critical first 16 measurements.

I use a local wood for my calibrations because it is well clear of any man-made stuff, I can see the red dot over long distances and can take vertical readings.

SamT

I once used a local wood.  could not get a decent calibration and couldn't for the life of me work out why. . til I remembered the underground oil pipeline that was passing right underneath.