Vision - statement by the BCA Chair - Phil Rowsell

BCA Chair

The Vision Of the Chair of the British Caving Association
Recently the BCA has not been in a good place, effectively broken and plagued by infighting resulting in a septic atmosphere. As a result, in the last 4 months, 6 council members (two from the Executive) have resigned. This has left the BCA crippled and barely functioning, and a laughing stock to our members, whose only benefit, is as a method to get caving insurance. To make matters worse, our world has been turned upside down by Covid-19, which has only served to exacerbate the problem.
As a result, I thought it necessary that I step up to the plate and get involved to try and move the BCA forward for the good of British Caving. I was recently ratified by BCA Council with an overwhelming mandate by Council Members. I was both honoured and humbled by this, and the respect and trust Council Members have bestowed on me. I hope too, the membership will also reflect this.
My goal is to turn the BCA around to be a powerful National Body, promoting caving and one valued by its members, dispelling the myth that BCA is only full of infighting and merely about insurance.
My Vision
Short term: The most important thing to do is to get the BCA functioning properly;
We need to create a culture whereby we conduct our business in a respectful manor, trying to understand others point of views etc, so that in disputes compromise can be reached. We need to clear the backlog, pickup the balls that have been dropped. We have moved to regular shorter (2 hour) Council Zoom meetings with targeted agendas rather than the all day epics of the past. Our Work Groups/Committees will be expected to present their work at times to Council, to ensure they are functioning and heading in a direction that the BCA believe is correct.
Probably the most important task is that BCA needs a website fit for a prestigious national body, with a back end functionality for BCA to engage with its members and vice versa. Our Constitution and Manual of Operations is out of date and ambiguous. Changes are occurring in a piecemeal fashion, exacerbating the problem, so a new working group will be formed to review and re-write them for presentation at the 2021 BCA AGM. 
Medium & Long term:
Our sport is dying, we are losing cavers to other sports through events like foot and mouth and now Covid -19 but also due to the lack of proactivity by the BCA. Our demographics are heavily stacked to an aging population. If we are not careful, our sport we love will die. This I think will be a great travesty.
To prevent this, we need to give our full support to the Y&D working group, the Scouts, the Universities via CHECC and our Caving Clubs to encourage and nurture as many new cavers into our sport as possible. Through the Conservation and Access Working Group, while conserving our caves, we need to make access easy and open for all. The comment "We need a cohesive joined up approach" rings home to the core, in that we have been so focused on infighting that we have forgotten the bigger picture.
We need to educate our cavers better in all aspects of our sport; caving techniques, rescue, expeditions and science. The BCA Training Committee and QMC (Qualifications Management Committee) are the foundation blocks to provide great training to our cavers. The recent Thai rescue has shown the world how good BCRC and cavers are. British Expeditions (assisted by GPF) are renowned and revered around the world. BCRA is doing some great science, which with improved funding for BCRA workshops and research projects, we can show cavers how interesting and important cave science actually is.
Finally, the BCA need to start looking out for issues that are on or coming over the horizon, so that we can influence government decisions at an early stage rather than having to live with the consequences.
In summarising, there is an awful lot to do. We are all volunteers giving up as much of our precious time as each sees fit. By pulling together, encouraging more of our membership (particularly the young) to be involved in the BCA, we can make the changes.
My door is always open. I hope people will come and air their grievances, ideas etc. I hope the membership will tell me what BCA is not doing correctly, what we should be doing and perhaps with time, what BCA is doing correctly ;-)
I hope you will work with me (and the BCA Council), to move forward, in the knowledge we are trying to do our best for British Caving, for the good of the BCA rather than its destruction, to build that National Association members are proud of and value and thereby ensuring that our sport grows in time rather than dies.
My thanks and dedication
Phil Rowsell

Goydenman

I like your short, medium and longer term vision. Thank you for your voluntary action and I look forward to engaging with your new website etc

David Rose

I first met Phil at an underground camp 800 metres below the surface of the Picos 11 years ago. We spent several memorable days there exploring the Asopladeru la Texa system, and since then we have caved together several times - notably in Mulu, on a six day exploratory trip down a remote, roaring streamway to an undiscovered sump at a depth of 1,150 metres in Riesending in Germany, and on a delightful summer jolly to the bottom of the Gouffre Berger. These trips were all among the best of my life.

There is no one I would trust more underground, and no one I've met who is more more skilled. The keynotes of his attitude to caving are a heartfelt passion for the sport, and a huge commitment to supporting all its participants, and, where appropriate, respecting their rights to debate and disagree. There is no one better suited to taking up this burden. We are fortunate to have him and his great energy. He is a formidable asset.

cap n chris

Fwiw I wonder whether BCA can improve it's progressive nature by expelling from membership anyone who opposes change. Just a thought.

NewStuff

Cap'n Chris said:
Fwiw I wonder whether BCA can improve it's progressive nature by expelling from membership anyone who opposes change. Just a thought.

That depends on how you oppose it. Discuss, concerns etc? I don't think anyone has a problem with that, and indeed, it's vital for a healthy group, no matter what that group is about.
Actively try to stall or regress things? I'd be pointing my finger in the direction they should be fecking off.

maxb727

The Old Ruminator said:
No mention of education in conservation. Maybe that should be included as well.
He mentions science and perhaps that covers conservation - shrug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex

Well if anyone can bring them all in line and stop the in-fighting I am sure Phil can. He will have them saluting in no time lol.

On a serious note, Phil has done some outstanding work already heading up the Ghar Paru foundation not to mention the amount of caves he has found in China, the hardest bit being working with the Chinese authorities. If he can sort them out, well then maybe there is some hope for the BCA after-all with Phil in charge.

Good luck Phil.