The Fellsman - a smelly cavers foray into Fellrunning

Alex

The only find I find that transfers between one and the other is knackered knees. I think I am going to take a break from fell running as I cant take a break from caving!

langcliffe

Mike Wooding used to take part every year, with pretty creditable times (19:22' in the year he died). There is now a Fellsman trophy awarded in his name:

"Mike Wooding, a Fellsman veteran, died unexpectedly in 2006 having held the coveted number 1 tally in the 2006 Fellsman. The trophy, awarded for the first time in 2007, has been donated by his friends in memory of his inspiration and support to other competitors on the event. This award is presented to an individual competitor or support volunteer who typifies Mike?s love for the challenge of the Fellsman and who has performed something exceptional and noteworthy during the event. "

adventurebarbie

I took a break from caving, highly recommend it. Fellrunning is far more civilsed despite the disappointing redundancy of portaloos on long fell outings.

Cut me open thou and I always bleed mud! but a break has made caving so much better again :)

adventurebarbie

I seen that Trophy, and what a man he was. I can totally emphasise as to why he loved it so much. Covers the best potholes in the county!

Goydenman

adventurebarbie said:
I took a break from caving, highly recommend it...............

Cut me open thou and I always bleed mud! but a break has made caving so much better again :)

Naaaaaa sorry Ive got a mission to fulfil and connect the caves of Nidderdale.....time is short as it is without a break....ha

Gerbil007

Interesting read. My old man, Ian Speight, did it in 1994 and came 13th in 13 hrs 13mins. All the 13s!

Sadly, the apple fell far from the tree in terms of athletic ability...