Caving Videography Workshop

Caver Keith

Discussions during the Video Salon presentation session at Hidden Earth 2017 led to a proposal to set up a full weekend video-making workshop before next year?s event.
This has now been arranged at the SWCC HQ. Penwyllt South Wales, on Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th January (with optional arrival Friday evening).
The aims of the workshop are to assist new film makers as well as to allow those already experienced in videoing underground to share ideas through demonstrations, discussions and practical filming sessions.
Equipment and production qualities are changing so quickly that sharing knowledge has never been more important.
It is hoped that sessions on concept creation, aspects of equipment and equipment management, lighting, filming and directing techniques, editing, possible audiences and competition judging criteria.
What?s more the workshop is open to all, is free apart from residential hut fees and will have practical underground sessions.
To find out more and/or register your wish to attend, please email Andy and Antonia Freem (SWCC-DVD@swcc.org.uk)

Come along and learn how to make fab videos just like this one.

http://youtu.be/aTKD4axz00E

Caver Keith

ZombieCake said:
This sounds really good.  Is there any interest in Super 8 real film as an adjunct?
It would be good to look into digitising proper fillum as there must be loads of stuff out there of historical interest.

Caver Keith

mrodoc said:
Maurice Hewins has done an awful lot. You see it on the MCRA Youtube area.

Thanks for this. The link to the Mendip Cave Registry and Archive is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0q7vtrmMkD3xr3akBW0YGg/videos

Caver Keith

This practical workshop is only just over 5 weeks away and there are still places left. To find out more and/or register your wish to attend, please email Andy and Antonia Freem (SWCC-DVD@swcc.org.uk)

JoshW

Caverdaddy said:
Hi Keith

How did the videography workshop go? Any thoughts of running another?

I believe there was talk of running another one around the same time next year from discussions with Keith and Andy/Antonia, so keep your eyes peeled.

Caver Keith

JoshW said:
Caverdaddy said:
Hi Keith

How did the videography workshop go? Any thoughts of running another?

I believe there was talk of running another one around the same time next year from discussions with Keith and Andy/Antonia, so keep your eyes peeled.

Josh is correct. The agreement was to run a second workshop in the Forest of Dean sometime early-ish next year. I understand that Paul Taylor along with Andy and Antonia will be arranging it. As soon as there is any news I will post here.

Caver Keith

The next video workshop is being planned for the weekend of 1-3 March 2019. It is being held in the Forest of Dean at the HQ of Gloucestershire CRG. If you are interested in attending please contact Andy Freem.

ZombieCake

I'm rather in interested in this. No one I know is interested in caving photography or filming so this would be great.

Caver Keith

Here's the latest update on this year's video workshop.

Date: Friday evening 1st March to Sunday 3rd March

Location: GCRG Depot on the edge of Cinderford. The Depot will be available 6.00pm onwards Friday.

Facilities:
Room for people to camp or they can sleep indoors in a variety of locations around the complex.
Plenty of  space in the carpark area for camper vans etc.
Showers and loos.
Small kitchen.
Facilities for tea and coffee making etc.
Plenty of space for meetings, setting up computers.
Full internet access.
Computer projector and sound.

Cost: Contribution to ?60.00 donation in total for facilities + contributions for joint meals.  The course is free.

Location for video projects:  Bixhead Mine and possibly others TBA.

Full programme to be confirmed. It will be flexible to individual needs.  Suggestions are that the weekend should include equipment evaluation, project creation, underground workshop, editing workshop and the completion of a short film. Competition judging criteria in theory and practice. Further requests are invited.

Equipment:  Everyone is invited to bring their own filming and where possible, editing kit for evaluation and use. There will be opportunities to try out a variety of hardware and software.

There will be further updates closer to the event.