Chris Fox interviews

andychapm

For these of you who don't know Chris Fox, he has been instrumental in a number of breakthroughs in the Goyden System in Nidderdale, resulting in some of the best through trips in the Dales and some of the best leads (diving and non diving) in t' Dales.
Here's an interview with Chris, describing how he began caving and was involved in the breakthrough in Winnats Head Cave, alongside Ben Bentham.
https://youtu.be/tRvLOyqPCro
Here's an interview with Chris, where he talks about some of his numerous breakthroughs in and around the Goyden System.
https://youtu.be/lCE6pAnqor8

Thank you very much, Chris for some really interesting and inspiring interviews :)

alastairgott

Madness said:
Isn't one of the chambers in Winnats Head named after him?

yes the one which he described in the clip.

Goydenman, were you digging in Longcliffe a few years ago with Nigel Ball, I think? Who else was digging with you?

Goydenman

alastairgott I am unsure who was digging Longcliffe with me (long time back) could have been Duncan Richardson or Mick Lewis or Murray Cooper or Nigel Ball or combination of. Quite a few trips did solo. I made poor go of it  and left my tools down there. The guys now are doing it properly. Same story with Mam Tor Engine shaft made poor job of that but so much potential there...hint hint folks
But made good job of doubling the length of Black Rabbit cave and cant believe now I did that stuff solo until reached point could push no further and got Richard Gibson to push on..he always was such a thin lat of a lad hey Gibby ;-)

bograt

Memories flooding back ---, I remember putting a few yards on Black Rabbit back in the '80's, it was a new years day hangover trip so we called it 'Janist' - (TSG log book--) only a few yards, so not thought worthy of a special write up (though we did find flowing water --), be interesting to see if this relates to your extensions--

BTW, just had a thought, -  we are talking Black Rabbit here and not Pindale Quarry Cave?, folk are looking at Pindale at the moment, but I am not aware of any work in Black Rabbit?-

pwhole

Personally I have my doubts as to whether the NT would ever allow a project up at Mam Engine, as it's so accessible to the public, and drops straight into shale, with all the attendant issues that would go with that. That said, I'd still be up for a look sometime, but probably at midnight in winter with a big black tent erected over the hole!

richardg

An interview with a present day Caving hero Chris Fox........
Excellent interview content......
Well done again Andy......

Goydenman

'Hero' Gibby...are you buttering me up for getting my help on another one of your digs ;-) Please don't answer I'm better in the dark pun intended