Interviews with Clive Westlake

andychapm

Here's the last few interviews for you to listen to.

Clive Westlake speaking about how he first got involved with Derbyshire caving
https://youtu.be/eJybWShVcNo

Clive talks about exploration in Knotlow.
https://youtu.be/jac8rogDMd4

Clive on diving in Peak Cavern
https://youtu.be/z2BwfP5bRZ4

Mark Wright

Thanks Andy and Clive for those.

The Peak Cavern one brought back some very happy memories of carrying diving gear for most of the dives Clive mentions. I must apologise to Clive again for not making it through Far Sump for his first photographic trip with Pitlamp. If i'm not mistaken it was the longest sump in the country starting and ending in a cave. Although today more people have been through Far Sump than have walked on the Moon, its not many more.

I didn't know how Millers Chamber in Eldon Hole got its name, thanks Clive for that. It should only be a couple of weeks before you can interview the Buttered Badgers on how Eldon Hole finally 'went'. (In my dreams)

Did you (Andy) ask Clive about publishing his diaries?

I'll buy a copy.

Thanks again, these interviews are brilliant

Mark

andychapm

Thanks Mark, it's good to know people do listen to them :)
I'd not heard about Clive's diaries, they would be good to read. Need to persuade Clive to get publishing!
Keep thinking that I'll stop doing the interviews but something new always pops up ;) 

Mark Wright

andychapm said:
Thanks Mark, it's good to know people do listen to them :)
I'd not heard about Clive's diaries, they would be good to read. Need to persuade Clive to get publishing!
Keep thinking that I'll stop doing the interviews but something new always pops up ;)

Keep 'em coming please.

Mark

richardg

Excellent interview and recording of Clive and this period of caving history.

I recall staying in the Eldon hostel, a few of us came down from Yorkshire to do the Oxlow Giant's  through trip.
There were gaps between the structure on the bunk beds and some of the Eldon lads challenged  us "Yorkshire" lads to see could squeeze through them. It was an occasion when regional pride was at stake, it was taken very seriously, with a fierce competitiveness.

Goydenman

Thanks again Andy for these recordings I know people enjoy them and it is a great to have the caving community capture historical events and 'the character' of people involved.

Dickie

After joining the Eldon in the early 1970's I and a couple of mates were fortunate enough to be taken under Clive's wing. We were blissfully unaware of some of the serious caves we wandered down with him, posing for photos etc. We decided to work our way through all the Grade V's in the new Northern Caves Wharfedale, tried to find all the accessible free-dives in all caving regions, did the first trip to the end of Langcliffe after the ULSA lads got trapped, got trapped in Strans Gill ourselves for 28 hours and so on. Clive was always very tolerant of the "boisterous" antics we got up to - I think he tolerated us because we'd happily go anywhere he suggested!
Incidentally, I lived in the Eldon Hostel for a while with Mouse, T Pot and Phil Burke. Don't believe all the stories - it was much more outrageous!!!!!