akku's

K

ken

hello,
Does anyone have ideas or comments (I could regret that) about Akku's for a camera?

We went into Dan yr Ogof with a full Akku, waterproof Digi camera, and after the streamway at the start, it was 3/4 empty. We took no pictures up to this point. Camera was in the overall pocket.

Is it the cold that empties the Akku's, or the water, or both? Would be putting the camera in a Carver jug be enough to keep the Akkus alive?

cap n chris

My guess is it'll be the cold - similar happens to my fobile moan if it's in an outside pocket in winter/July (delete whichever is warmest).

cap n chris

They're portable sculptures/souvenirs from Easter Island.

images

dunc

Batteries and cold tend not to mix too well, I believe Lithiums are best for cold conditions.. But my NiMh rechargables perform ok in my digital camera..

What kind of rechargable battery is this akku thing? Was it full when you started/charged the day (or day before) you went underground?

K

ken

its the same type of battery as in a Mobile cellular phone, a little stronger. It was full (at least it showed it on the LED) . The battery and the camera were 2 weeks old.
exempting the fact that the battery could be a dud, I would have to try to keep the camera somewhat warmer?

Burt

I have no idea what a carver jug is, either.

However, I run my digi camera on NiMh AA's, 2300mah capacity and they seem to keep sufficient charge for about 70 shots with flash. They also have the benefit of fitting most modern headtorch units so are a useful backup cell.
As for waterproofing / protection, I use a waterproof food box lined with old karrimat, the whole lot carried in a waterproof bag from a kayak shop . It's a bit of a faff to get the camera out to take pictures but so far the camera is still alive (much to the annoyance of anyone who caves with me) - it's been through several sumps and swims.

cap n chris

Insulated jug is like this - they have them at one of the places I work.

http://www.fourcorners.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=479

D

Dep

graham said:
Come to that, what's a carver jug:unsure:

No smartass replies please Chris.  :chair:

Blimey - even Google doesn't know what it is.

footleg

ken said:
its the same type of battery as in a Mobile cellular phone, a little stronger. It was full (at least it showed it on the LED) . The battery and the camera were 2 weeks old.
exempting the fact that the battery could be a dud, I would have to try to keep the camera somewhat warmer?

Some types of batteries need to go through a few charge/discharge cycles before they perform to their full capacity. I've seen this fact stated in mobile phone instruction booklets. If this was a new battery then this could have been the problem?

K

ken

footleg said:
Some types of batteries need to go through a few charge/discharge cycles before they perform to their full capacity. I've seen this fact stated in mobile phone instruction booklets. If this was a new battery then this could have been the problem?

Could have been. I just wanted some ideas and thoughts from people who have more expierence than I (which is none)
thanks