Smoking underground

whitelackington

Not the thing nowdays at all, very frowned upon, and rightly too, if u want to carry on caving & digging into your later years, give up now, while at least a portion of your lungs are still functioning. :idea:

cap n chris

IMHO smoking in caves is disgusting and unforgiveable and anyone doing it should be ashamed - also they should give up as it will improve their fitness for caving. Also it has the potential to disturb bats, therefore in certain circumstances making it technically punishable by a fine of up to £5,000 and/or six months imprisonment.

Jagman

anti-social and uncivilised, but I do it anyway. Not in caves though, I seldom set foot in them, its man made places for me

gus horsley

I don't approve of it.  Apart from wasting time trying to light a rollie under a waterfall it's antisocial, especially from the point of view of any fragile ecosystems that don't want to indulge in passive smoking.

Peter Burgess

Not in caves though, I seldom set foot in them, its man made places for me

I find the smell unpleasant, though this does disperse. Worse, I think, are the dog-ends. I hope if you do have to smoke underground that you take your rubbish out with you!

A point worth thinking about. If smoking in caves is an alien activity for the cave environment, then in ancient mine workings, dating back to pre-Raleigh times, it is equally alien. The miners had no such vice when the oldest workings were created.

Of course, in mines where smoking did take place, the clay-pipes thrown away by miners are valuable dating evidence. Will there ever be a way of dating dog-ends? I suspect not.

Putting the whole debate into perspective, smoking has only existed on this island for some 400 years. That's considerably less than the period between the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, and only about as long as the Roman occupation of this island. The sooner we kick this 'new' habit of smoking, the better for everyone! Historically, the people of Britain have been exclusively non-smokers for a much longer period than the time over which the habit has developed.

Perhaps in a thousand years time, historians will view smoking as a quaint little activity, performed by humans in those bad old days when we seemed to take a curious delight in abusing ourselves and others.

SamT

Generally not really a fan.

But my main caving buddy smokes rollies, it has proved damned useful as a quick test for draughts or just general air movement in caves.

I cant subscribe to the whole 'damages the fragile ecosystem' line (not withstanding bats). But Ive never seen much evidence of bats in the peak caves. On the few times I have - its been very close to the surface, where the air circulation is good and besidses he wouldn't light up near the entrance.

On the whole though - I'm against it.

Wolfart

Sadly i'm a smoker trying to give it up(not easy) :cry:but i have never had the urge to smoke underground till i get back to the car and find my self rolling a cig,light up,then having a coughing session :yucky:WHY DO I DO IT :cry:
Smoke tends to hang around for quite sometime.  will bats get lung cancer :-\

finster

Its not great, the big problem is the smell, some of my caving buddies are smokers but they do refrain from smoking underground.  Years ago I remember being on trip down swildon, the muppets I was with kept there fags in the their helmets, by the time they got to sump 2 and fancied a cig, the packets were sodden....serves em right!!

racingsnake

:mad:

My Very own personal pet hate.
All smokers underground or otherwise should be made to smoke in their own homes only,  anything but a total ban elsewhere is unacceptable. Why should I and the rest of the non smoking world have to put up with smoke. Smoking in a cave is criminal IMHO And I would personaly take umbridge if I came accross anyone smoking underground. Although I must say I have not seen anyone smoking underground in the last few years.

:mad: :mad:

Hughie

Whilst I'm quite capable of smoking like a train above ground, I never get the urge or desire to whilst caving. The air , especially in a wet cave, seems to have a wonderful clarity about it that a fag would totally destroy.

Will very occaisionally have a smoke at the bottom of the dig with senior management - but not when others are there. Usually we're discussing draught and/or air flows at the time. Usually his tobacco as well - very hard to resist!!

W

Walrus

Just to play Devils Advocate here... even though its obviously frowned upon (an understatement?!) what would you actually do about it if you caught me smoking in a cave? Being (currently) an 'independant' would you just be able lecture me? As you know smokers get lectured all the time about thier health, money, the environment etc - doesn't stop us though.

graham

Walrus said:
Just to play Devils Advocate here... even though its obviously frowned upon (an understatement?!) what would you actually do about it if you caught me smoking in a cave? Being (currently) an 'independant' would you just be able lecture me? As you know smokers get lectured all the time about thier health, money, the environment etc - doesn't stop us though.

Depends on the cave. If it had a controlled access regime, I might just have a word with the contollers.

finster

MMM tricky one, there are some do gooders that would love to have ago, you occasionally see it oh you shouldn't rig that like that and he/she shouldn't be here bla bla. I would probably cast the individual a filthy look and then make polite conversation.... There should be a ruling in the cave conservation about it then every body knows where they stand and then no one hopfuly would have to say anything.