?Rap lines?

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Im looking at adding a ?Rap line? into my toolbox for pull through trips and canyoning.

Plan with it would be-

Carry with no plan to use it
Use as a pull cord if I lose one of my (2 carried) ropes
Send the wife down the rap line as a last resort.  :eek:

Considering this one:
https://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/accessory-cords/rap-line-protect-pro-dry-6mm.html

Just wondering if anyone has any real life experience with them.

Cheers
Ian

mikem

You might as well carry accessory cord with those criteria (the wife may not appreciate the last one).

Minion

I?ve been looking at these for inclusion in a via ferrata safety kit, I?ll be interested in hearing if anyone has had any experiences of using them.

mikem

https://blacksheepadventuresports.com/2017/10/10/review-edelrid-rap-line-ii-new/

Andy Kirkpatrick is currently writing a book solely on abseiling:
https://www.andy-kirkpatrick.com/blog/view/rap_trail_lines/

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
mikem said:
You might as well carry accessory cord with those criteria (the wife may not appreciate the last one).

I currently carry accessory cord, just looking to upgrade to add more versatility and for a bit of matrimonial harmony !

We have abseiled off 5mm cord in a controlled environment (safety rope used)

mikem

From what I understand the rap line can take some shock loading, which is quite difficult to create, unless an anchor fails...

Ed said:
8mm Rando rope is pretty hand - chap and packs small
Hand - chap!?! Handy - cheap ?

topcat

Carry / use a 55m x6mm for climbing.  Never used it caving, but plan to, just don't do many pull throughs.
Needs it own mini tackle sack: I used a chalk bag for years but now have it in a small personal caving pack.

There has been a recent incident when a club member confused which side to abb off.  He was lucky to walk away from the full on crash landing.  Using a cord eliminates this risk.  I'd use it as the go to rather than two ropes.......

I tried a lightweight pull through set up once in Pool Sink - I was convinced it was a stroke of genius.

9mm rope one side and then some 6mm code on the other as the pull down rope.

Abolsoute dogs breakfast of an idea - first pitch it just kept twisting up under tension and tying itself up. Ended up getting my mate to climb back up and just rig it as usual (luckliy the 9mm was long enough).

I think he new 9mm and the new cord perhaps had a load of residual twist in them that needed taking out. Might lower it down Lancs at some point and see if it "unspins".

Ian P

Administrator
Staff member
Ed said:
8mm Rando rope is pretty hand - chap and packs small

I currently have this 8mm rope Cord in my toolbox and highly rate it.

https://starlessriver.com/shop/c_c_8mm_type_l_cord

mikem

topcat said:
Why was the cord under tension?  (Other than when you pull on it after the abb).??
I expect the ab rope was under tension & getting twisted with the cord.

So I had a crab on the end of 9mm - rope was threaded through both anchors and the crab clipped back onto the down rope thus securing it.  The cord was clipped into the crab as well.

Once we were both down, even separating the ropes, for som ereason whenever we pulled the cord, it seemed to spin the crab and tangle everyhting up.

langcliffe

MJenkinson said:
So I had a crab on the end of 9mm - rope was threaded through both anchors and the crab clipped back onto the down rope thus securing it.  The cord was clipped into the crab as well.

Once we were both down, even separating the ropes, for som ereason whenever we pulled the cord, it seemed to spin the crab and tangle everyhting up.

When you're using ecohangers, it's best to keep karabiners out of the system. They don't do anything except introduce the risk of a rope jam.

Pitlamp

MJenkinson said:

I'd normally use a 7 mm Maillon in that situation and I've never had it jam up (he said, firmly clutching at some wood).