Tsingy National Park

menacer

Does anyone have any caving info for this region.(Madagasgar)
There was a small danish group went out at some point but im struggling to find some good caving contact info.
Interest stems from an article in this months focus mag. Its awesome.
thanks

menacer said:
Does anyone have any caving info for this region.(Madagasgar)
There was a small danish group went out at some point but im struggling to find some good caving contact info.
Interest stems from an article in this months focus mag. Its awesome.
thanks

The link below refers to the ACG Expedition to Madagascar in 1999 - not too much found but warring tribes prevented the expedition reaching the desired location -

http://www.axbridgecavinggroup.org/international_expeditions/madagascar/madagascar_1999.shtml

Les W

Little Timmy and some of the MCG went to Madagascar not so long ago, perhaps they visited this area

ian mckenzie

And here  http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/52/Travel_Madagascar.html .  I'm thinking about a trip there sometime in the future...

Julie H

Hi there,

Myself and 3 other MCG went to Madagascar in 1999 and the previous year a recce had been done by 4 MCG.  It was the Tsingy we went to!  And what a fabulous place it is - if you like very, very remote places, crocodiles, hairy spiders the size of your fist and cheeky lemurs nicking your camp food!  Caving wise, we found a bit - hundreds of metres of very ancient fossil stuff - but no more. I am convinced that there is still plenty to be found - in 4 weeks we barely scratched the surface and we weren't near the highest peaks. But logistics are difficult there and routefinding through incredibly dense and vicious jungle is a problem.  I understand that for obvious reasons the French are most active in Mad these days....

I donated all of my paperwork to a boxfile which is now sitting in the MCG library which you can peruse if you turn up at the cottage when members are there to open up the library for you....... 

Julie

menacer

Thanks to everyone for all your help and suggestions, ive had plenty of PM emails about this too, what a wonderful response.
Julie I will pop up there when im next up and check the stuff out.
Ian..keep me in touch with your plans....

rhychydwr1

There is even a book about this National Park:

http://www.librairiespeleo.be/achat/produit_details.php?id=2088&PHPSESSID=86997cd8bc2ee7228880de6064107253

Tsingy - Forest of Stone [in French] Euro 32.50 + post

rhychydwr1

A small French team visited Tsingy Autumn 2005 and found many new caves. Nearby is the 4,630 m long Anjohiambovomby Cave which in 1962 was described by a German-Polish team.  The French also explored the 1,010m long Aanjohy Ambovonombykely and the 197 m long Anjohy Belaka.  Along the western edge of the karst area they found a dozen cave with a total length of 2,200 m.

Mitteilungen des Verbandes der deutschen Höhlen-und Karstforscher e V München Nr 2/2007 52.  [originally from Speleunca 105 (2007)