caving in romania

ditzy 24//7

Going to romania at the begaining of august, does anybody have specific details of any sport caves, guide books or local contacts. Any recormendations for bases to opperate from?
thanx in advance

H

hoehlenforscher

I once met some real nice Romanian Cavers at THE caving shop in Germany in the middle of Munich. They were good friends of the shop owners and were staying there as a base. I also consider myself to be good friends with the shop owners so if you have no luck elsewhere I can put you in touch with them and they could probably point you in the direction of some Romanian cavers.??  Let me know if this would be of any help

Mark

H

hoehlenforscher

Drop a mail to Fritzy and Jorg @

http://www.speleotek.de/

They speak some english. Tell them Mark from Wales/Stuttgart gave you their details and that they should give you some contacts in Romania or he will have to come and have another Whisky drinking competition with them. And thats not pretty!!  :LOL:

rhychydwr1

Have a look at:

http://www.showcaves.com/

click Romania in the right hand column.  Then click ABOUT on the front page.  This has a list of links to caving clubs etc in Romania.

There is also a very good article on a trip to Pestera Cetatile Ponorului [The Fortress of Ponor]    ;)

graham

Just about any Mendip Caving Club Library. If you promise to learn the difference between "were" and "Where" I might even scan it for you.  :idea:

G

Graham.E

It's been a long time since I caved in Romania [1968/9/70] but I expect the caves are still there. Most was done just south of Hateg, Pestera Sura Mare is a long resurgence [approx 2KM long] cave just south of Pui with a smaller Pestera Sura Mica resurging from the cliffs just about 1/3 Km away down the valley. slightly further south towards Petroseni is Pestera Gura Oani and across towards the Retezat Mtns, in the Vulcan range there is a wonderfully decorated cave Pestera D'Aur well worth a visit.
In the north of Romania there is always Ghetsarul de Scarisoara [?] an ice cave in the Apuseni Mtns not sure if this is now a show cave ?
People in the area were extremely friendly and helpful even as then under communist rule, I have always regretted not going back to look at the many other caves.
(y)
Good luck with your trip
Beer good, Wine good, Tuica Lethal

Stevo

You are correct it is now a show cave. Though after you attempt the dodgy steps on the way down it'll still give you enough of a thrill to think you are going wild caving.

Around that area there is loads of caves. The problem is that all the big horizontal caves are gated so unless you are going vertical there's not much to do.

As Graham has said the locals are very friendly.

Graham.E said:
In the north of Romania there is always Ghetsarul de Scarisoara [?] an ice cave in the Apuseni Mtns not sure if this is now a show cave ?