Short drop and gavel pot

benshannon

Hi Guys, I have never caved in the dales. I'm a peak and mendips caver. I'm very keen to do stuff in the dales. Any way long story short I would like to do short drop and gavel pot. Could anyone give me a rough idea how long a trip would take roughly to do both of these two caves? Am I right in thinking short drop links into gavel pot, or would you do gavel separately? Many thanks for any help received

langcliffe

benshannon said:
Hi Guys, I have never caved in the dales. I'm a peak and mendips caver. I'm very keen to do stuff in the dales. Any way long story short I would like to do short drop and gavel pot. Could anyone give me a rough idea how long a trip would take roughly to do both of these two caves? Am I right in thinking short drop links into gavel pot, or would you do gavel separately? Many thanks for any help received

Short Drop leads into Gavel, and it is more fun to do the two together. Four cavers, about four to five hours if you are not rushing. The rigging guide is on the CNCC website.

PeteHall

I have a vague memory of visiting these caves after inadvertently consuming various unknown substances at one of Chris Kinghorn's parties.  :eek:

I don't remember much about the cave and I'd always meant to have a proper visit in a better state of consciousness, but still haven't got around to it...

mikem

Would have to be an exchange (or pre-rig one of them) if you want to go in one way & out the other.

Groundhog

I shot vids of both caves a few years ago :

ahttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hNzMjruS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKvIfIvC8QI

Very nice caves but doing Short Drop to the bottom of Gavel and back out the same way is not to be underestimated.

Enjoy.

Groundhog

"Very nice caves but doing Short Drop to the bottom of Gavel and back out the same way is not to be underestimated."

Also I seem to remember that to do that someone has to go in Gavel and rig the Eco Traverse

Benfool

If it helps, the 5m pitch in Short Drop is currently rigged (pretty sure its a remnant from Eurospeleo). So in order to do the through trip you'd only need to rig the entrance pitch of Gavel and the traverse that connects the two (which can be done from either end).

Be warned that if you've never done Short Drop before, route finding upstream can be a little challenging as there are a few inlets - however route finding downstream is easy as you just follow the water.

B

Benfool

Groundhog said:
"Very nice caves but doing Short Drop to the bottom of Gavel and back out the same way is not to be underestimated."

Also I seem to remember that to do that someone has to go in Gavel and rig the Eco Traverse

The traverse is certainly easier to rig from the Gavel end, put its certainly possible from Short Drop. The awkward bit at the Short Drop end has a hand line on it which its possible to aid/prussic up.

B

Chocolate fireguard

Two good caves, whether done together or one at a time.
I once rigged the last pitch of Short Drop. It's not on the main exchange route, starts part way along the Eco Traverse and is blind.
I found it very exposed, but I think I must have missed a bolt or two, because the people I have spoken to since did not find it anything like as frighteneing as I did.
Or perhaps I was just having a bad day.

langcliffe

Groundhog said:

I think that I have only rigged it from Short Drop! Once you're at the right level, and as Benfool says, there is a fixed line up to it, there are no problems at all.