Hidden Earth 2012 - when / where

moorebooks

I will ask the same old boring question

what date and where? At one time it was announced at the end of the previous event but now its held in suspenders

Mike

Les W

Hi Mike (and anybody else),
the suspenders wern't intentional.
Until a short time before last years Hidden Earth we had a venue and were prepared to announce it at the end of HE however the venue fell through and left us in the lurch.

I am supposed to be looking at a venue next week so hopefully it will be anounced shortly after...  :unsure:

As soon as I know so will you.

Les

Alex

I bet its down south again, P.s. I count Peak district as down south lol.

Fulk

I understand that the guys  who organize HE put a lot of time and effort into doing so, and do indeed try to move it round England and Wales, but I also understand that finding an appropriate venue is no easy task, and that it often happens that they 'fix' a venue only to find that it falls through later, through no fault of their own.

So let's not give  them a hard time.  :)

paul

Fulk said:
I understand that the guys  who organize HE put a lot of time and effort into doing so, and do indeed try to move it round England and Wales, but I also understand that finding an appropriate venue is no easy task, and that it often happens that they 'fix' a venue only to find that it falls through later, through no fault of their own.

So let's not give  them a hard time.  :)

I'll second that.  (y)

kay

They try to move it around the caving areas. We'd better keep our fingers crossed that they don't decide to hold the next one in Assynt.

estelle

kay said:
They try to move it around the caving areas. We'd better keep our fingers crossed that they don't decide to hold the next one in Assynt.
and here was me thinking it would be great if they held it in assynt!!  ;)

Amy

Well if you like caving areas I could look around here in TAG for a venue.  ;) For you know, all the cavers who want to fly to the states LOL.

Good luck Les and everyone finding a place and getting it all set up. I have troubles getting simple newsletter submissions so I can't imagine how hard it is to set up an entire event! I look forward to hearing about where/when it is and cross my fingers I will have the time and money to attend this year. =)

Les W

There are four main caving regions and we try to rotate between them, and also go north, south, north, south...
so :
2008 Otley - That's near Leeds, Yorkshire.
2009 Churchill - Mendipshire.
2010 Leek - Staffordshire, on the edge of the Peak District.
2011 Monmouth - That is actually in South Wales...
2012 ?

Well, it obviously ought to be Ooop Norf again, and in an ideal world, somewhere near the Dales. The problem is that there are not enough people living in the dales, so the schools are too small to hold the event, it's not through trying I can assure you. We need a secondary school that has somewhere around 1000 pupils as the smaller schools don't have enough facilities for the event. Unfortunately the Dales schools are far too small, this is the problem. Even Skipton doesn't have enough facilities.
We thought Kirby Lonsdale school would be OK but the Governors won't allow any alcohol on site, still I don't suppose that will cause too many problems...  :-\

I have two venues to look at this week, one in Lancashire and one in Yorkshire, as to which, if any, well we have to wait and see. If none of those is OK then I am open to suggestions, but it is quite difficult to return to previous venues when we have pissed off the locals with the parking and the noise, as they seem to have more influence with the governors than we do...

we should alternate between Brighton and Blackpool! the locals would be used to noise and alcohol, and going on the funny looks i get when i turn up at hidden earth with a muddy face, the lack of caving wouldn't be missed by many people  ;)

i am very glad i don't have Les's job, it must be a bloody nightmare and us lot cannot help by being sociable and not liking doing what we are told. Wherever he finds, i am sure it will be worth the drive  ;)

Les W

Pie Muncher said:

We did Kendal in 2004 but the only suitable venue was the Brewery Arts Centre. There was a lot of criticism from traders and ehibitors as we had to split the exhibition hall into two. Also we still lost a substantial amount of money despite the extra income generated by the showing of the China Caves RGS presentation as a seperate event.

The camping was miles away and the cost of the venue was more than twice what we would normally pay. I could give you a list of technical reasons as well but we would be here all night. Suffice to say we won't be going back there unless things change substantially.

Lets see how we get on with the two venues I am looking at this week...

Alex

What about Craven? Or what about Broughton? Afterall they hold the CRO event already there annually  (except this year - thank you olympic torch!)

Or I could always loan you the use of my living room I guess ;).

Les W

Alex said:
What about Craven? Or what about Broughton?

Do they have a 1000+ pupil secondary school?

Alex said:
Afterall they hold the CRO event already there annually  (except this year - thank you olympic torch!)

But the CRO event isn't Hidden Earth. We really need at a bare minimum, a large sports hall, a school hall or similar space that will seat 300+, a school gymnasium or similar that will seat 200+, a smaller space, perhaps a drama studio or similar, that will seat between 50 to 80 persons, also some ancillary spaces (classrooms) for meetings and workshops, a catering area, room for a bar, some lockable spaces for prizes, tech gear, etc, and the list goes on...

Alex said:
Or I could always loan you the use of my living room I guess ;).

Not sure your living room would be large enough on its own, might need the kitchen and the bedroom as well. Oh, and the garage and garden shed...  :alien: