Response to BBC Ultimate Caving...

Rob

OK, so possibly the best publicity for caving this country has had in the last decade is to be broadcast on TV tonight and again tomorrow. Surely the amazing sights and tales of these intrepid adventurers being thrown into such an extreme environment is going to captivate the nation, alter everone's mindset of what makes life worth living, and do what they can to become a modern day explorer, just like Kate and Steve.

Well, let just see how this weekend's hits compare to last...

Last weekend:
          Date          New Topics  New Posts  New Members  Most Online
Sat  2007-08-18        6                50                1                82
Sun  2007-08-19        6              108              3                98

Peter Burgess

My prediction (based on how many people I have heard talking enthusiastically about the climbing program):

Next weekend:
Sat  2007-08-25        4                40                0                72
Sun  2007-08-26        5              73                2                88

Given that a lot of the normal posters might be away caving.....

D

Dep

Peter Burgess said:
My prediction (based on how many people I have heard talking enthusiastically about the climbing program):

Next weekend:
Sat  2007-08-25        4                40                0                72
Sun  2007-08-26        5              73                2                88

Given that a lot of the normal posters might be away caving.....

Are you running a sweepstake?

kay

Rob said:
OK, so possibly the best publicity for caving this country has had in the last decade is to be broadcast on TV tonight and again tomorrow.

Not if you're up north. We get rugby insteasd of the repeat :mad:

W

workshopmonkey

Well is everybody happy NOW :D Thought they got it ( the hole, pun intended, feel of caving )across quite well to non cavers. Not sure about the squeezes but if you aint done it before that would be v tight. Will have to post some pics of the masochistic caves on Skye. Am very jealous of the trip to Titan :cry:. Any chamber over 500mm tall is huge, I was almost overcome with agoraphobia  the first time  I went into ANUSC, three small cavers from the west coast lost in space; took us six hours to nook into every cranny. But f******ng amazing to watch it all on the telly.

spikey

Atmospheric, well filmed, and generally very sympathetic to the sport.

Only criticism (apart from the continuous references to "terrifying" / "buried alive" etc) would be that the shots of Titan didn't do as much justice to the place as Robbie Shone's photos.

Stu

Best of the three; even without a bias.

The photography was stunning. Some of the scenes were a little "staged". Some of the techniques were... different; probably due to a BBC agenda. I think the presenters made some very positive and "real" statements.

All in all, brilliant.

nickwilliams

I thought it was great. More importantly, so did all three of my kids.

The device of using a presenter with whom a lot of the audience will already be fairly familiar as a means of helping non-caving viewers to understand what it might be like if they tried it worked really well, I thought.

Nick.

Frog2

Must say I thoroughly enjoyed it - downside maybe is that the wife has now banned me from Sump 2. Still whtted my appetite for DYO and Titan.

If those were there first few trips - respect!

W

workshopmonkey

"No mine exploring involved" Oooh saucer of milk for table two!  ;)

Stu

Peter Burgess said:
Very good presentation. Not sure why the climber fella tagged along. Did I miss something?

The other two programmes had the presenter - female plus their own "guide/guru". I suspect most cavers aren't as photogenic or soothing as previous "guru's". Most would have told her to stop p**sing about - Moose did call him a poof!