Looks like rain....

Evening all,

Looks like a right old downpour is headed our way, especially for Derbyshire and the Midlands in general. I'm meant to be going in Baggers tommorow but don't reckon we'd get very far. Unpopular though it may be I think Carlswark will be the most realistic option with Freshers in tow. Might be worth going out early though, for a look at some of the swallets and resurgences.

Dan.

dunc

It's been throwing it down in the Dales today (at a guess midday onwards) - water levels increased a fair amount in Lost Johns and it was still chucking it down when we came out..

Rachel

I've just driven up Chapel le Dale and back, just for the hell of it to see what the water levels are like and it's unbelieveable. The whole of the valley bottom is full of water with more pouring out of every nook and cranny. Up at Ribblehead, the water is flowing over the top of the road bridge and is about 6" deep over the tarmac. I don't think there's going to be any caving going on tomorrow...

graham

I really hope there are no Uni Freshers trips going anywhere "silly" tomorrow, or even tonight.  :blink:

cap n chris

Lovely in Dorset today

images

ogofmole

We had planned on going into Dan yr Ogof tomorrow (Sunday) but it has been steady rain all day to-day and it is still raining at the moment, not particularly heavy but steady, so we have now changed our plan to Ogof Draenen, probably get just as wet but at least we will get out  ;)

El Agreb

Not a drop here today, yesterday or for the last eight years I think, no cave development though. Do the two not often go together?

El Agreb

Demain Dimanche 5 Octobre
  07h59      19h31     

Brumes ou brouillards 3 ?

Soleil 20 ?
  Apr?s-demain Lundi 6 Octobre
  08h00      19h29     

Soleil voil? 8 ?

Variable ou nuageux 21 ?
  Dans 3 jours Mardi 7 Octobre
  08h01      19h28     

Soleil 9 ?Soleil 24 ?

Pitlamp

In the 24 hours to 6-30 a.m. this morning (Sunday 5th October) I got 44 mm in the rain gauge near Clapham in the Dales. It's been a very wet Saturday!

dunc

Looks like a fair few people were caught out going on the CRO website - Sunset, County/Wretched, Stream Passage and Ireby which is ongoing with diving assistance according to the report.. :unsure:

damian

dunc said:
Looks like a fair few people were caught out going on the CRO website - Sunset, County/Wretched, Stream Passage and Ireby which is ongoing with diving assistance according to the report.. :unsure:

I think it was an Ireby "Grand Day Out" yesterday, which will mean a lot of people were down there. Sounds very nasty.

dunc

I think it was an Ireby "Grand Day Out" yesterday, which will mean a lot of people were down there. Sounds very nasty.
Yes, it was the "Grand Day Out" yesterday, it was mentioned to us when we were in Ingleton (we declined an offer of joining them..) Hope everyone is ok down there.

Mr Fell

Ireby's not the place to be when it is wet. Wonder why they dident  cancel? I was in Kendal and Windermere yesterday and got soaked. I had :-\ wondereded if `The grand day out' had gone head or not - seems it had !

docfunk

There were 25 including the 2 on the ireby II side down there,`twas nice weather when they went down then it really pissed down in the early afternoon,they were stuck in duke street for 8 hours untill the last pitch was dry enough then they got stuck on the wrong side of the pussy in the well duck/sump for 3 hours then made the once the water went down they managed the duck the slowly got out.

graham

What exactly is an Ireby "Grand Day Out" apart from a superb opportunity to get exposure?  :doubt:

docfunk

You go down to a 18 m sump which on one side has a dam,you,well 6 people or there abouts then pump all 18000L of water from said sump behind the dam which has a drain tube that runs through the sump to the other side which drains the water from the dam in to Ireby II then once the sump is empty one can crawl theough the "dry" sump into Ireby II then to a high level dig which when finished will make a dry connection in to Duke street which is the bit before the sump. :sneaky:

dunc

Mr Fell said:
Ireby's not the place to be when it is wet. Wonder why they dident  cancel?
I'm sure they, like a lot of others, saw a weather forecast of some rain for Saturday and not one of very heavy persistent rain all afternoon/evening.
When we went underground at about 11am the Lost Johns stream was what we would have described as normal, Boxhead didn't have much water flowing down it either. By 2.30-3pm (when we were on our way out) enough rain had fallen for the Lost Johns stream to become knee deep and Boxhead to become very wet..

As for Ireby; the opening of the 'Bubbles route' has made access easier in wetter conditions (safer than DDB/Shadow routes anyway) although other parts can still get iffy when it's very wet as Docfunk has revealed!

I think a lot of people were just caught out unexpectedly by the large volume of rain that was dumped in such a short space of time..