Mallorca

TRISH

Hi I'm in Mallorca over xmas does anyone have any caves they can recommend we explored (for free away from the crowds)

Fulk

Hi Trish,

There are 'loads' of caves in Mallorca, and without a guide you'd have problems finding them.

However, one that I'd heartily recommend is 'Cova de na Mitjama', which is in the north-east of the island. This is in low cliffs at the seaside, and is accessed via an inviting-looking tube-like passage, maybe 1.5 m in diameter. Just inside there's a short pitch of ~5?6 m, which often has a fixed ladder; when we went the ladder was very rickety, and bent in the middle. So ? there may or may not be a ladder. If you're taking vertical stuff with you, this won't be a problem, I guess, but if you're combining a 'normal' holiday with a bit of caving, and are travelling light, then it could be an issue.
Anyway, assuming that you can get down the picth, at the bottom you'll find a network of easy, but very well decorated, passages, including a chamber with an underwater connection to the sea, and a shallow salt-water lake.
I'll dig out directions for getting there and PM you.
To whet your appetite:

Attachments

• Mitjana 7.jpg
    Mitjana 7.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 193

AMH

Trish,
  In addition to caving, there are excellent canyoning opportunities on the island too as well road biking, hiking, climbing etc.

Enjoy your trip,

AMH

Minion

Walk a part of the GR221 Dry Stone route. I walked the whole thing back in April and it was the best weeks holiday of my life!

TRISH

Fulk said:
Hi Trish,

There are 'loads' of caves in Mallorca, and without a guide you'd have problems finding them.

However, one that I'd heartily recommend is 'Cova de na Mitjama', which is in the north-east of the island. This is in low cliffs at the seaside, and is accessed via an inviting-looking tube-like passage, maybe 1.5 m in diameter. Just inside there's a short pitch of ~5?6 m, which often has a fixed ladder; when we went the ladder was very rickety, and bent in the middle. So ? there may or may not be a ladder. If you're taking vertical stuff with you, this won't be a problem, I guess, but if you're combining a 'normal' holiday with a bit of caving, and are travelling light, then it could be an issue.
Anyway, assuming that you can get down the picth, at the bottom you'll find a network of easy, but very well decorated, passages, including a chamber with an underwater connection to the sea, and a shallow salt-water lake.
I'll dig out directions for getting there and PM you.
To whet your appetite:

That looks awesome. Our trip is mainly a climbing trip with a bit of caving but this looks awesome and might be worth taking some caving gear. If you could PM me the directions that would be appreciated  (y)

Fulk

Hi Trish, I've sent you a PM with directions; here is a map culled off Google maps, you could presumably search yourself, and maybe get GPS co-ordinates: (I don't know why the path splits . . . it looks as though there are two caves very close together.)

Attachments

• Cova de na Mitjama_location 2.jpg
    Cova de na Mitjama_location 2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 210

TRISH

Great thanks.
There is another cave nearby Talaies del Cap Rojo.
I'm really excited :D :D :D about exploring these as well as lots of climbing and walking.

RUSS B

The entrance used to have a fixed ladder on it which I've heard has been removed the reduce the casual  visitors going so you may require kit to get it. Cal Pesso, Can Sion and Penya Rotja plus a few others but you will need details to find.

pm me an email address and I'll forward some details

Russ

TRISH

Fulk said:
Hi Trish, I've sent you a PM with directions; here is a map culled off Google maps, you could presumably search yourself, and maybe get GPS co-ordinates: (I don't know why the path splits . . . it looks as though there are two caves very close together.)

Fulk your a star we found this cave relatively easily thanks to your directions. Took a bit of hunting in the rocks. Fantastic formations just a bit short. We decided to finish the day being very touristy and going down the caves of drach. I preferred our little cave but it was worth seeing Drach.

Attachments

• 80679192_10221970307826626_6688155414434938880_o.jpg
    80679192_10221970307826626_6688155414434938880_o.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 80730504_10221970308986655_4883157440780042240_o.jpg
    80730504_10221970308986655_4883157440780042240_o.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 165

Fulk

Thanks Ttrish, glad you found the cave. We visited the Caves of Drach in October . . . I must admit, when we got herded into a group of heaven knows how many ? 200+? ? we nearly opted out (in spite of having paid), but the cave is most impressive.
Did you need any equipment for na Mitjama, or was there an in-situ ladder?

TRISH

yes we had a rope. It's only about 6 to 7m. The ladder is no more. There is a nice new bolt at the top of the pitch.
It's given us a taste of caving out there I suspect we'll be planning more adventurous trips for next year.
Yep Drach is a bit overwhelming with all the people but worth a visit the straws are amazing. We were lucky it was quite quiet being the last trip on new years eve.

Fulk

The formations in Drach are amazing . . . wouldn't it be great to go down there out of hours and have a good look round? (My wife cunningly lurked at the back of the party and managed to evade the guides, so got a few minutes down there almost alone at the end of our tour.)

TRISH

yep it was amazing what must it have been like to discover it!!!  we were lucky it was relatively quiet and like you was sauntered at the back.

rhychydwr1

There is  book ---

on fleabay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274185923524?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648