cave photograpahy

lancscaver

Hi
Getting into cave photography!
Although I have nearly 30 years caving experience including SRT etc I have had a break for some years due to worn out knees.
Now getting back into the more gentler caving plus many of the caves I haven't done which aren't all vertical?
Been into photography for several years now and interested in tips from experienced cave photographers...
Have the following kit below.
Main Camera: Canon 7D
Spares: Canon 550D and 450D
Sigma 10-20mm
Canon 18-55
Sigma 70-300mm
Canon 50mm F1.8
Polarizers etc
Plus full sets of ND and ND grad filters etc for landscapes
Selection of Manfrotto tripods etc
Remote releases and flash guns...
Currently from that kit above I am setting up a portable kit into a storm case to use underground, as compact as possible.
Interested in using LED`s for lighting, get a selection of Fenix LED lights, anyone used these? advice which ones?
Thought they would be good for setting up a shot, you can see what you are getting and better for manual focusing?
Plus looking to do long exposures underground, waterfalls, streams etc.. so is fixed lighting better?
Any tips from experience guys?
Thought to use the 450D as its the oldest and more disposable, but know how much better the 7D is in low light and higher ISO?
Perhaps the 550D would be a compromise? and also has HD video. but also have a Go Pro.
Looking also at rain covers, armour covers etc to protect camera?
Aiming to practice is somewhere like Alum then when kit is sorted with an old tripod  then to venture down Dolly tubs and photograph the main chamber from the ledge.
Do any groups do photography trips underground?
Always shoot in RAW and use PS and LR
All the best
Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• 28423336_158129664847156_2670550864345197672_o.jpg
    28423336_158129664847156_2670550864345197672_o.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 375
  • 28468580_158090931517696_4350983975336801918_n.jpg
    28468580_158090931517696_4350983975336801918_n.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 28168569_158091304850992_150613658999261462_n.jpg
    28168569_158091304850992_150613658999261462_n.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 156

lancscaver

2 more...
I don't need to say where these are taken?

Attachments

• 28335998_158028424857280_7441678438768695666_o.jpg
    28335998_158028424857280_7441678438768695666_o.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 28468533_158090881517701_3009764757214295587_n.jpg
    28468533_158090881517701_3009764757214295587_n.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 150

The Old Ruminator

It is great to combine hobbys particularly photography and caving.  Eventually you find your own style and if you look at an image carefully you will be able to discern the photographer purely on that. Personally I don't like to follow the crowd. There are really no rules re kit, style or anything else. We had an acronym in dive training KISS. ( They love those on here ). Keep it simple stupid. You can go that way or branch into the more complex realms.  Always remember , though , that you will need support and loads of " faffing " soon reduces your available subject pool. Having a basic idea regards composition is important and your photos illustrate that is good. As for kit it's hard to be definitive. The market is constantly changing with new technology and concepts. The shift from hardware to software seems to be gaining momentum. Ultimately I feel that an image has no value at all unless it is shared. Hoping to see a lot more from you in the future.

lancscaver

The Old Ruminator said:
It is great to combine hobbys particularly photography and caving.  Eventually you find your own style and if you look at an image carefully you will be able to discern the photographer purely on that. Personally I don't like to follow the crowd. There are really no rules re kit, style or anything else. We had an acronym in dive training KISS. ( They love those on here ). Keep it simple stupid. You can go that way or branch into the more complex realms.  Always remember , though , that you will need support and loads of " faffing " soon reduces your available subject pool. Having a basic idea regards composition is important and your photos illustrate that is good. As for kit it's hard to be definitive. The market is constantly changing with new technology and concepts. The shift from hardware to software seems to be gaining momentum. Ultimately I feel that an image has no value at all unless it is shared. Hoping to see a lot more from you in the future.

Hi
Thanks for the tips and advice!
Doing lots of research for ideas and lighting and will try some LED lights first, will be interesting to see the results.
Thanks again
Andy

The Old Ruminator

Well to be honest I thought the OP would get more support from the forum. Ruminatings and ramblings from me are hardly any encouragement to somebody embarking on a cave photography career.

pwhole

Going on the examples above, I can't think of any tips at all - you seem to be doing fine ;)

My only recommendation if you're photographing cavers - if you want to do it regularly - is to try and work with the same people every time, if you can, assuming they can stand it. Bribery may have to be involved. Though obviously the ego-stroking resulting from being in lots of nice photos, especially if they'll be published, may be incentive enough. But - once you get 'familiar' with each other in that context, it's amazing how much easier it gets, as everyone 'knows' what to do in any given scenario, and shoots take less time and with less shouting of instructions. One caver friend of mine has probably been in about 50% of my decent shots, and we can just get on with it now, as it's so familiar. It's so much easier when you don't have to think too much - especially when you're doing vertical stuff.

chunky

All great advice from TOR

Although I have primarily used strobes and bulbs with my camera and hand held for speed so as to shoot during caving trips, I am myself beginning to experiment more with light painting and fixed lighting in combination with the above.

My tips would be use as sturdy a tripod as you can carry. Be creative, use helmet lights, LED's, light paint with torches. Depending on your results you may wish to colour balance the light sources using colour gels. I can't really recommend kit for fixed lighting as my LED's are changeable heads on the godson ad200 stones and are pretty expensive, but there seem to be a host of cheaper yet and I haven't yet tested, but for torches the BLF Q8 is awesome and fairly cheap, they will also take diffusers for better light spread. Caverkeith has just tested some fenix kit which is also superb but a bit more expensive.

Peli cases and Daren drums are both sturdy when it comes to protecting gear and pretty user friendly to cave with. I have used body armour on my cameras for years and they work extremely well, the only down side is that grit and mud can get under the skin and cause cosmetic wear to the camera finish, not too important but it does affect the resale value if you use an expensive camera set up.

I go wide as I can with lenses, on my FX body I use a 16-35mm for UK caving because I can protect the lens using clear filters and a 14-24 in big stuff where I can be sure that the lens won't get scratched.

There are some top photographers up your way that I'm sure would be happy to go and play if you put out a shout with some dates in mind, or contact local clubs.

I'd also be happy to go underground and have a play, especially with new techniques if you can ever pin me down to a date that I'm not booked.  :unsure:

ZombieCake

Re: LED lights
Manfrotto Lumimuse are good (especially the 8 LED one) are good for near-ish stuff (they wont light Mulu) not water resistant or proof, but nice spread of light.  LumeCubes are also good and are waterproof.  Can't be bothered by the gimmicky app personally, just use the manual switching.  Incidentally the Manfrotto Lumimuse filters gaffa-tape very nicely onto LumeCubes without paying silly money for the LumeCube holder.

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/collections/lighting/lumimuse-led-lights

https://www.lumecube.com

ZombieCake

Addendum:  Fill a pint glass with water and chuck a LumeCube in.  Makes a nice ambient light for outside parties...

lancscaver

pwhole said:
Going on the examples above, I can't think of any tips at all - you seem to be doing fine ;)

My only recommendation if you're photographing cavers - if you want to do it regularly - is to try and work with the same people every time, if you can, assuming they can stand it. Bribery may have to be involved. Though obviously the ego-stroking resulting from being in lots of nice photos, especially if they'll be published, may be incentive enough. But - once you get 'familiar' with each other in that context, it's amazing how much easier it gets, as everyone 'knows' what to do in any given scenario, and shoots take less time and with less shouting of instructions. One caver friend of mine has probably been in about 50% of my decent shots, and we can just get on with it now, as it's so familiar. It's so much easier when you don't have to think too much - especially when you're doing vertical stuff.

Great Tip Thanks, I have the long suffering wife as my caving subject! used to hanging around as I faff about so will come as no surprise! will try LED lights hopefully it will speed up the process and require less shots as you can see what you are getting? just then need to snap different shutter speeds to get the best effect? sounds good in theory anyway? ha

lancscaver

chunky said:
All great advice from TOR

Although I have primarily used strobes and bulbs with my camera and hand held for speed so as to shoot during caving trips, I am myself beginning to experiment more with light painting and fixed lighting in combination with the above.

My tips would be use as sturdy a tripod as you can carry. Be creative, use helmet lights, LED's, light paint with torches. Depending on your results you may wish to colour balance the light sources using colour gels. I can't really recommend kit for fixed lighting as my LED's are changeable heads on the godson ad200 stones and are pretty expensive, but there seem to be a host of cheaper yet and I haven't yet tested, but for torches the BLF Q8 is awesome and fairly cheap, they will also take diffusers for better light spread. Caverkeith has just tested some fenix kit which is also superb but a bit more expensive.

Peli cases and Daren drums are both sturdy when it comes to protecting gear and pretty user friendly to cave with. I have used body armour on my cameras for years and they work extremely well, the only down side is that grit and mud can get under the skin and cause cosmetic wear to the camera finish, not too important but it does affect the resale value if you use an expensive camera set up.

I go wide as I can with lenses, on my FX body I use a 16-35mm for UK caving because I can protect the lens using clear filters and a 14-24 in big stuff where I can be sure that the lens won't get scratched.

There are some top photographers up your way that I'm sure would be happy to go and play if you put out a shout with some dates in mind, or contact local clubs.

I'd also be happy to go underground and have a play, especially with new techniques if you can ever pin me down to a date that I'm not booked.  :unsure:

Thanks for the tips, just ordered camera body armor, a special plastic cover and looking at a lens cover.., got a clear lens filter and getting a storm case.
Lots to sort first then practice can start!
Thanks for the comments.
Will keep in touch when sorted and ready to get underground with it all!
Andy

lancscaver

ZombieCake said:
Manfrotto Lumimuse are good (especially the 8 LED one) are good for near-ish stuff (they wont light Mulu) not water resistant or proof, but nice spread of light.  LumeCubes are also good and are waterproof.  Can't be bothered by the gimmicky app personally, just use the manual switching.  Incidentally the Manfrotto Lumimuse filters gaffa-tape very nicely onto LumeCubes without paying silly money for the LumeCube holder.

Thanks for the links, will look into them.
Just got new helmets and new 2 Fenix 950 lumen headlamps, be interesting to see them underground?
My caving days started with Oldhams, then Speleotechnics FX lights, then an Apex 17, then the lighter blue battery kidney pack lights....
Showing my age now?  :eek:
Started caving and SRT in 88/89 and bought all our first SRT set up in a shop in Crickhowell while doing caving in south wales, we were in a forest when a warden pulled up and said "get down from that tree immediately!" We said "he will when he figures out what he is doing?" ;)
My mate was half way up a tree with Dave Elliot`s SRT book in hand learning to do a changeover!  :eek:
Did a load of courses with Nigel Atkins and Kev West after that in Dent and the dales to learn it properly plus rescue etc..
Still have the kidney pack light? I wonder if I could change the bulb to LED and use it for part of the lighting?
Thanks for the comments!
Andy

mudman

lancscaver said:
ZombieCake said:

Thanks for the links, will look into them.
Just got new helmets and new 2 Fenix 950 lumen headlamps, be interesting to see them underground?
My caving days started with Oldhams, then Speleotechnics FX lights, then an Apex 17, then the lighter blue battery kidney pack lights....
Showing my age now?  :eek:
Started caving and SRT in 88/89 and bought all our first SRT set up in a shop in Crickhowell while doing caving in south wales, we were in a forest when a warden pulled up and said "get down from that tree immediately!" We said "he will when he figures out what he is doing?" ;)
My mate was half way up a tree with Dave Elliot`s SRT book in hand learning to do a changeover!  :eek:
Did a load of courses with Nigel Atkins and Kev West after that in Dent and the dales to learn it properly plus rescue etc..
Still have the kidney pack light? I wonder if I could change the bulb to LED and use it for part of the lighting?
Thanks for the comments!
Andy

Try torchsite for led upgrade bulbs.
But to be honest, for the size and weight, if you want additional light, then you can find cheap torches that will give a better output.

droid

A lot of the mine photographers use the cheap LED video lights. Not tough, not waterproof, but work fine in dry conditions.